Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Take a Step Back

I'm not perfect and I don't ever try to present myself as such. I often have to take a step back to re-evalutate things and, certainly ,some situtations. I was reading a comment on a blog about the scrapbook yard sale that I found to be somewhat disappointing.
Saturday I was talking to Mel while she was at the store and she said it was crazy. She said that poor Hollee was working straight out. I immediately told her to ask Hollee if she wanted some help. She said yes so I borrowed my mothers car (Eric was out with Jillian with our car) and left. When I arrived, the place was packed. I was really surprised at the amount of people crammed into that space. Wall to wall people in the sale room and the line to pay was backed up to the door. I made my way through to the crowd to get to Hollee and I took over taking payments. This is a good time to tell you all that I have very serious problems with even simple math - no joke I'm deadly serious. So Hollee gives me quick instructions and I'm on my way. The first ladies I waited on were very patient with me. These girls had a big pile of stuff and I'm very serious when I say my hands were shaking because I was nervous. I was laughing nervously and I told them I was crazy for going in and dealing with money. But I sucked it up and dove in. I was scared I was going to screw up the balance for Hollee and Nicole. I got into the groove of things quickly and it was fun. I like the opportunity to meet all the girls. Melanie stayed to help out too (with Bailey my special helper). It took all four of us (Holle, Melanie, Robin, and myself) an hour to get everyone rung through.
Then after all is said and done I read a comment on a blog about the sale saying that the "Staff" working was not very friendly. Did that make me angry? Nope. Just sad. I went to the store to help my friends. Nothing more, nothing less. When I walked through the door and saw all those people I thought "Wow, what a patient bunch of ladies" and my goal after that was simply to make their wait as short as possible. However,I can honestly say that in the process I shared a laugh with every lady I had contact with on Saturday. When I hopped in my mom's car to go to the store I was only thinking that Hollee could use a hand. The idea that someone thought we were rude makes me feel sad but that's all. I would still jump in the car in a heart beat for anyone who needed me.
I know that I'm usually the loud mouth of the group, the daredevil, the one to get in trouble, the one who will do just about anything. BUT I'm also the one that will take a vacation day if you just need a friend, the one who will drive to the Hanwell Rd in the middle of the night because you need Ovol for your baby, give you a place to stay if you ever need it, let you cry on my couch at midnight because your boyfriend/husband is being a jerk, bring you soup when your sick, organize your baby/wedding shower or whatever on earth I think might help.
So after this long winded post here is my message - The next time you're frustrated or irritated or think someone has wronged you, take a step back and consider what the circumstances could be. You might just be surprised at yourself. I know that I need to be the first one to take my own advice.

2 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Hail the Princess because she "said so"....

I am in total agreeance, I went into the store to check out the deals not to work it or to stay very long but when I walked in it was chatoic to say the least, as I was leaving my phone rang and it was you, so back in I went and at that moment I asked my baby (would you help out, she said "sure mama") and so we did. I enjoyed myself very much and to find out someone said such a thing is unacceptable. Robin & Hollee went flat out trying to do it all, but they would have and with a smile.

We are a close knit group and when the going gets tough the tough gets going and we did just that!

Its a direct hit to all of us with a comment like that!

LadyLipgloss said...

Unfortunately ladies, you can't please everyone. I know from working at Payless, that you can be as helpful and patient with people as you can and they will still be unhappy with the service.

There's nothing worse than cheap people coming in trying to get a deal on $5 shoes, just to get angry you won't give them an extra 10% off because of that tiny scratch on the sole. Hello! They're already $5! Jack-ass.

Anyway, I feel for all you guys who helped out and that one lady ruined your good deed.

It's so true that you never remember the good customers, just the bad ones.