Monday, August 14, 2006

Colors of the Rainbow

About this time last year, I had an interior designer come into my house and help me pick paint for the walls. I have a rather open concept house. My living room is open to my entry way via a set of stairs and large open space. My living room is also open to my dining room via a large archway and to my kitchen via a normal sized doorway. My kitchen is also open to my diningroom. Visual - imagine being able to walk in a circle through my livingroom, kitchen, and diningroom. Anyway, I wanted to paint them all different colours but have it all still flow.
In comes Joanna Munn of Fresh Face Interior Designs. Love her! For a mere $50 she came in and spent over 2 hours helping me pick paint. She also suggested accessories, showed me where to place appropriate lighting, curtain rods, pictures on the walls and decorative shelves. She was freaking awesome and a very nice person.
So at Christmas time we painted, the livingroom, hallway, entry way, and kitchen. All we have left now is the diningroom. We had a lot of prep work to due in there so we procrastinated a bit.
Fast forward to this past Saturday. I've been getting the diningroom ready for about a week now. Saturday we go and buy paint. I've wanted to paint the diningroom red all along. But based on a print (painting) we have I bit the bullet and went with a rust colour. Simply because I paid $200 for the print and didn't want to have to purchase new artwork. Saturday morning we come home with a gallon of paint called Spicy. I was drawn to red at the store but again repressed those feelings and got the rust color. Because this color had so much yellow tint, it was going to cost $60/gallon. Ummmmm...NO! So we went with the cheaper brand and only paid $30/gallon. I get it home and put the paint chip on the wall to look at it for awile. It looked like baby shit. I hate it. I really, really hate it.
Yesterday I gently, yes I was gentle so stop with all your guffaws, told Eric that I didn't like the paint. I told him I've wanted red from the beginning and I teared up a bit when I told him I really wanted to go with my initial choice. Oh, I should mention, I also rearranged some artwork to support my idea. Surprisingly, he was okay with it...not that it was going to matter. I was getting new paint regardless. I was prepared for the fall out but he's really an easy going guy. At the most, he'd complain about the wasted money but he'd still help paint.
I went at lunch time to get paint. The girl working there was helping Melanie and I pick paint. I told her I wanted red but I didn't want my room to look like Satan's Den. She thought that was very funny. Aterall, I am a fun girl.
Hopefully by this weekend, I will be the proud owner of a red dining room. Hopefully I won't it won't be referred to as Satan's Den.

4 comments:

Queen Mel said...

NOpe just make it your mexican fiesta room or go with an Australian theme - Ieeee, get your "mojo" going.......(mojo is the paint colors name LOL)

I know - buy a koala bear and put him in there. JJ will LOVE it!

NickyT said...

I love Red! I can't wait to see it. Doesn't suprise me though that you went red considering every other paint color in your house I have in mine. I didn't have a dining room or I would of went Red in there. Instead I have red curtains and red accents LOL.

Kimmartha said...

Did you know the colour red stimulates the appetite? Watch out Superstore cakes now!!!LOL!

K

b.c. Gurl said...

That sounds sooooo nice! your place must look so much different than the last time I was there! lol I can't wait to be in a place that we know we'll be in for more than a year so I can paint!!!