Tuesday, July 04, 2006

T Minus 5 Days

T minus 5 days until we leave for Shediac. Pause for a second - what does *T minus* mean anyway? Seriously, if someone knows let me know. I'm kinda surprised I don't know this since I'm usually the keeper of useless information An old roommate used call me Cliff Claven because I hold so much useless knowledge.
Okay back on track. Sunday we leave for a week at a rented cottage in Shediac. Ahhhh....Shediac is my happy place. I've been going there every summer all my life. As soon as we take the turn off into Shediac I immediately relax. I just love that place. I HATE the damn tourist traffic. I don't consider myself a tourist any longer. I've declared "squatter's rights" for myself.
I love going to the beach every day. I don't particularly enjoy the old frenchmen in speedos. But since one of them is my father I can't say much. In his defense, he doesn't really wear a speedo he wears his "tanning shorts" as we call them. It's not a speedo but it's tiny. My dad is in pretty great shape for a 59 year old man. My specific beef with the men in speedos is when they dance around on the beach and strut like roosters. Ewww...get over yourself. They're kinda funny is a yucky sort of way. Really though, they dance in their tiny swim suit. One guy danced in his pink thong. I will never be the same after witnessing this horrific event.
I love seeing Jillian make sandcastles with my dad, play in the water with Eric, and go for walks with my mom. I love helping her discover ocean creatures and seeing the look of excitement and awe on her face when she finds something new.
I love going to the Pointe-du Chene wharf to go fishing. I could stand there for hours without cathing a thing. I've noticed in the past few years that the wharf has become somewhat aromatic. I hope it's not because of pollution.
I love going to the giant lobster for ice cream. I love going to the drive in. I hope there is a kids movie playing this year so we can take Jillian.
I like going for walks on the beach in the morning before anyone else gets there. Parlee Beach is always so crowded that it's nice to be there when it's quiet.
I know we have some funny moments in Shediac. Like the time my dad mooned us. Oye. The year before last, Jillian thought opening her mouth and falling face first into the sand was the perfect answer to a snack. One year my sister stole (yes stole) and 6 foot purple and green inflatable dragon off a cottage lawn. I still wonder how the heck she walked away with that without getting caught - brave little bugger.
Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever really humiliated myself in Shediac. I can't think of a single time that I've exposed myself, said anything really dumb...well out of the ordinary anyway, tripped, fallen, licked anything, or had hair ripped from my body. Know that I've said that I'm sure to be involved in some sort of debacle this year.

So my friends, I'll be away for an entire week starting Sunday. I imagine we'll be taking the laptop but I'm not sure if we'll have internet access. That means my posts may not be regular. Take a deep breath and for the love of Pete don't send me emails, leave comments or call me asking me to update my blog. You know who you are...and it's not just one person :) LOL...just kidding...I'm flattered you read my blog. But serioulsy, I don't know if I'll have internet access next week.
While I'm gone check out www.dooce.com this site makes me crack up laughing out loud on a regular basis.

3 comments:

Queen Mel said...

sniff, sniff, life won't be the same with you gone.....

I can't wait to hear about all the fun you had in Shediac, enjoy the time off and RELAX!

You can laugh at all us buggers still waiting for vacation time to come.......

Anonymous said...

I just know that reference was NOT about me! I always thought "T Minus" was "Time" Minus whatever time is left until that "Time" - did that just make sense? You can think about it on your week off! Have a great vacation!
Robin

NickyT said...

We'll miss ya! :)

I'm another Dooce FAN!!!!

She started the blog revolution! Well to me anyways when she got caught talking $hit about her coworkers years ago and got fired for blogging about it LOL.