Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Crazy Hair

I have weird hair. It's crazy and has a mind of it's own. It definitely not straight but it's not curely either. It's kinda wavy and frizzy....it's just there spurting out of my hair. Sometimes it takes on a life of it's own. On days like today where its hot and humid my hair just gets bigger and bigger. By the end of the day today, it will likely be wider than my shoulders. I'm sure the air traffic controllers at the airport are picking it up on radar.
Getting a hair cut, quite frankly, is a frustrating experience for me. I always make it clear to the stylist that I'd like a cut that will be conducive to my hair's natural state. I'm very upfront in stating that I HATE drying and straightening my hair. Well, I think they just see that as a challenge to tame the wild beast. Just when I think the cut is going well they ask the dreaded question...dadadada (that was my ominious music sound)...."Do you want me to use the round brush or the flat iron?" At that point I want to spew expletives at them but I smile through clenched teeth and say "Round brush please." You see, I'm mad by that point and I KNOW that it is 10 times more work to straighten my hair with a round brush. I just see it as pay back for not doing what I asked.
I'm sitting here at my desk and my hair is especially bad today. I have very thick, heavy hair and today is the worst weather possible. I also haven't had a hair cut since there was snow on the ground. The reason for not getting a hair cut is what I have outlined above. I'm going to bite the bullet in a few minutes and call to make an appointment. I'm leaving my current hair dresser and trying someone new. I think I'll go to Robin's stylist. She always has great hair. However, she also has straight hair. Hell, even if it doesn't work out....what's one more unsatisfactory hair cut in a life time. Besides, Nic gave me another person to try if this doesn't work out. If all else fails, I'll get myself some ball caps and embellish them!

4 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Finding the right stylist is a feat in its self.

I just go round and round, my problem is, I find one and she goes on maternity leave then I run aimlessly through everyone for the next year, she comes back and does a crappy job so I have to move on at that point.

Why can't they just read my mind and do what I want, I can't always explain it but make it easy and manageable, is that too much to ask of someone?

Kimmartha said...

Getting a haircut, trying on swimsuits and going to the dentist - they all rank the same with me! I went to Head to Toe in New Maryland for my last cut and she did quite a good job - and it was only $20!

K

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had another friend named Robin? Cuz you're certainly not talking about me! It sucks even when you do find a great stylist because they can abuse you and you have to take it cuz you don't want to risk losing them! (ie: my 2 1/2 hour cut/framing foils last night) Sorry....I'm still ranting, I know.
R

NickyT said...

Just got mine cut today - of course the first thing she said after cutting:
"Would you like me to straighten it out for you?"
Sure, lets do it as I never do it myself.
She is a great hair doer though :)