Friday, July 21, 2006

Lebanon

I've been closely following the conflict that has been going on in Lebanon lately. It is so disturbing. The guy who sits beside me a work, Gabe, is Lebanese. I'm sure he has family over there but I think most of his immediately family is here in Fredericton. However, I know his wife's mother is in Lebanon visiting family right now. I can't imagine what his family must be feeling right now. His wife must be beside herself with worry. And his children....knowing their grandmother is over there. Gabe is out on vacation for the entire summer but I've been thinking alot about he and his family these past 2 weeks. I sincerely hope they all make it home safe and sound.
I was looking at some photos on CBC.ca yesterday of the Canadians trying to flee Lebanon. Before I even clicked on the images I knew they would bother me. But like a train wreck, I just couldn't stop myself from looking. I almost cried seeing the parents with their children. I CANNOT image how horrific it would be to be involved in that type a situation. Let alone with your children. Wondering how to keep them safe, hydrated and fed. It would be even more difficult with a baby. At least a toddler can eat pretty much whatever you can scrounge up. But what do you feed a baby who needs formula.
Melanie was telling me about a guy in the news who said he had to leave some belongings behind when he fled. I wouldn't care about my belongings. I'd leave with the clothes on my back, my passport, money, and essentials for my child. The rest can be replaced.
I was watching the news last night and they did a story on a bunch of Canadians that had been evacuated but were stuck on a ship for 15 hours on the way to Cyprus. One woman was livid about the conditions on the ship. I'm sure I can't even begin to understand or imagine the conditions being on a cramped ship for 15 hours without sufficient food or water. But wouldn't you be happy to know that you are out of the war zone? The Canadian Embassy estimates there are 50, 000 Canadian in Lebanon right now. From what I understand, only a few thousand have made it home so far. I'd count myself lucky to be one of the few who made it to safety. I heard on the news this morning that a Canadian Navy ship will be leaving Halifax in the next few days for Lebanon to help bring more Canadians home. It will take 2 weeks for the ship to get there. Unfortunately, the airport has been bombed leaving few options for travel out the country. I think this will be a long, difficult mission to get everyone home safely. I wish everyone luck and a safe journey home.

2 comments:

Queen Mel said...

I'm tired of war, I'm sick of the images, I just want to bury my head in the sand until it all goes away.

I dread turning on the news at night just to hear about war, shootings, bombings, muggings and drugs - it just doesn't stop.

Our world is self-destructing

NickyT said...

There was a retired Gen. I believe Oliver North on the news the other night. He said it is time the world realizes that we are in World War 3. I totally agree, there are so many countries at war right now.

Regarding, the news last night. I was a little miffed with the lady yelling about the conditions.....