Sunday, March 25, 2007

Souvlaki

JJ and I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon making a paper mache pig. We drive past a house every morning that has paper mache pigs in the window. Last week she asked me if we could make these pigs some time and I said sure.
We set ourselves up at the diningroom table and went to work. We had paste from head to toe. It was on the table, the chairs, our clothes, our faces, and JJ even had it in her hair. My philosphy on messes is quite simple...you cannot have fun and stay clean.
We had quite a few layers on our little piggie. He is taking quite a bit of time to dry. We should be able to paint him tomorrow night. Of course, JJ has decided he will be pink. I just have to figure out a way to get a curly tail on our little swine friend.
Every "buddy" who comes into our house must have a name. At the supper table tonight, I asked Littlest Princess what her new piggie's name is. Her answer? SOUVLAKI. That is MY daughter. I suggested she make it easy and call him Lunch. My sister, who was here for supper with my niece, suggested JJ call him Bacon. JJ stuck with her first choice.

Without further delay, I introduce to you - Souvlaki:



Everyone, this is Soulaki. Souvlaki, this is everyone.

11 comments:

NickyT said...

OMG, that is hilarous. I can't stop laughing! Soulvaki, the paper mache pig. *love* it!

Anonymous said...

He is so awesome (or is it a she?) You could always use pink ribbon that you use to tie balloons with and use your scissors to make it curly for the tail.

Kimmartha said...

Or a pipe cleaner. The pig is too cute - as is the name! When T was about JJ's age, we got our first goldfish. He couldn't say "Fishy" - it came out "Sushi". And that was it's name!!

Anonymous said...

That rocks! You guys did a great job!

Queen Mel said...

that is so cute, great job!

awareness said...

hey there.......You have the Phoebe Gillman book, Jillian Jiggs don't you? Souvlaki is a great name

I LOVE paper mache stuff.....I LOVE messy crafts. This weekend, we tackle the creative egg dying and painting. Can't wait. I'm so glad Martha loves to create too.

Sunny said...

I agree with Kim. Pipe cleaner (the fat, fuzzy kind) is the way to go. Big fat one.

Souvlaki!!! That is priceless!!! I will laugh all day over that.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how cute, you guys did an awesome job!!!!!

gypsybug said...

LOVE THE PIG!!!!! Hilarious name.

The Original Princess said...

I think we'll try the pipe cleaner.

D - We have all the Jillian Jiggs books. That how Jillie got the nickname JJ. I was so sad to find out that Pheobe Gillman passed away.

I hope JJ continues to explore her creative side as she gets older. I also hope she aspires to make a difference in her world..like Martha does. You have a pretty special daughter.

b.c. Gurl said...

OMG! that is the greatest! now I wanna paper mache! and the name is terrific! you guys crack me up!