Monday, March 26, 2007

Don't Tie Your Child to the Bed

A friend called me this evening and, jokingly, asked me to tell her if it was alright to tie her child to the bed. This comment reminded me of my pregnancy.

When I first found out I was pregnant, my doctor sent to me to the prenatal clinic at the hospital to find out about any programs etc that were available to me. I'd never heard of it before but, being a gung-ho first time parent-to-be, I was game to do whatever I could to give my baby the best chance.
I arrived at the clinic and sat at a little table with a nurse (?). There are other people around the room doing the same thing. This woman could not have possibly been more disinterested in me. She was watching everyone else and following their conversations. She asked me each question 2 and 3 times because she wasn't listening the first time I answered.
This went on for awhile and then all of a sudden, her head snapped around and she said to me quite firmly, "Don't ever tie your child to the bed!" I swear to you, I looked behind me to see if she was talking to someone else. I was shocked and when I am taken by surprise, I often say things out loud that I should only think in my head. So I say to her "Are you talking to me??" She answers yes. I was so surprised that I blurted out "Do you say that to everyone or do I just look the type?" I wasn't snotty just blown away. I left there and, of course, told anyone who would listen about her insulting comment.
All of a sudden, today, I get it. Don't we all want to tie them down somewhere at some point in time? Even if it's only to go to the washroom alone.

9 comments:

Queen Mel said...

1) It wasn't me who called Princess last night - not this time anyway

2) Those meetings are a waste of time

3) I remember you coming back to work and telling me about this, it was really funny - until you have a 3 year old or older

4) You don't look the type but none of us really do until the time comes - am I right?

5) Course I would never do that - not yet anyway :o)

The Sarcastic Mommy said...

So just to be clear we ARE NOT supposed to tie them to the bed?? Are you sure?? LOL

Anonymous said...

what if we use soft restraints???? still not allowed???

b.c. Gurl said...

what about a chair? would that be the same thing? ;)

nothing like singling someone out! did you look a bit psycho that day or something! I hope you complained to someone about that -- it's one thing to give a general warning, but to actually speek that way to someone specifically - it's just not right!

Sunny said...

When I was pregnant they didn't send us up to the hospital to find out about programs.
Nobody ever told me we couldn't tie our children to a bed.....I wonder if I pled ignorance if it would stand up in court? "I am sorry your Honour. I was never informed that it was illegal to tie your kid to a bed! The chair?!!! Are you for real?!!!" I can envision myself wearing a bright orange jumper being shuffled out of the courtroom now.

My grandfather fled England when he was 14 and came to Canada because his father would tie him to a bed, beat him and leave him for days....maybe the rules are less rigid in Jolly-ole-England...how quickly can I get a passport?!!! lol!!

Kimmartha said...

Some of those "nurses" certainly lack a bedside manner. When my nephew was born, he had a small lump just above his nose. Eventually, we found out it was just a tissue build up and it has been removed. However, when my SIL took him to the New Mom's clinic when he was a few weeks old, a nurse looked at him and said, quite loudly, "OMG, is that cancer?" Now there is some tact for you!!!

"The real" MarthaSue said...

oh shit....someone could have told me this earlier....gawd....

on another note - wes and I weren't married when we became pregnant for Tara (I know I know) - and were "young" from todays' standards - 21 to be exact - so not that young - but anyhow *we* loved one another - we had been together for something like 6 years (1993 subtract 1988) oh ok 5 years - -anyhow....we were pregnant - oh darn - would have liked teh wedding first but oh well...
So i had a "prego"brain for sure...and *we* go to one of those places - counseling or whatever and the nurse (?) says
"Do you know what you're going to do?"

I blurt out "NO! I'm not sure"...

Well the look on Wes' Face should have told me - but then she starts talking about my "options" - you know.....abortion...adoption...HOLY SHIT...I thought she was talking about what I was goign to do after the baby was born (we were living at my parents at the time) I'm thinking when she said it - Holy crap aren't I pregnant for a long time and don't I have a *few* months to get my shit together??

Anyhow I quickly "clarified" that we were having/keeping the baby LOL anyhow just a funny story!

Queen Mel said...

Well Princess this sure did create a lot of feedback.....pretty funny..Jenn Mac your babies are alot older than mine and if your headed to England you'd better sign me up too!

Still it wasn't me who called...:o)

awareness said...

what about tying the child's father to the bed? Is that legal? I'm told only if whipped cream is involved.