Monday, March 19, 2007

Bit of a Rant

I have purposely tried never to speak of work on here. But today is the day that I break that rule. In the past, I've said how much I like where I work and that has not changed. However, today I found out the most disturbing information.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with an employee (A) who has not been with us long. In fact, we met for the first time this morning. This person comes across as very friendly, pleasant, and intelligent. After we had some time to get to know each other, this person opened up to me and shared her negative experience at our office. I was devastated, horrifed, and, so, so disappointed to find out that another employee (B) has reduced (A) to tears more than once. Unfortunately, I cannot say I was surprised to find out who the ass was that made the other cry.

Holy shit! There is just no excuse for that in the work place. None!! I have absolutely zero patience for that kind of bullshit. I breaks my heart to know that employee (A) had been treated like that. Even worse, (A) had no one to confide in, no one to tell them it would be okay, nowhere to go to get away from (B). Until today, no one had reached out to (A) to be their friend. (A) teared up in my presence when talking about the issue. To (A)'s credit, they say anything derrogatory about (B).

I can't really say much more about this because it really, really bothers me. For a department who is in the field of compassion, in an office that works on the front lines, we sure could use a lesson on how to treat others. I have to ask, if you can't reach out to one of your own, if you feel that making your co-workers cry is acceptable, are you in the line of work? Here let me answer for you... no fucking way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's aweful! In this day and age, it is becoming more common and acceptable to abuse people in the workplace. I feel (A)'s pain, as I too was reduced to tears on numerous occasions by a previous employer and co-workers (read - her spawn). (A) shouldn't accept being treated that way.

Queen Mel said...

thats a shame....some people have no heart!!!

LadyLipgloss said...

Mean people suck. (A) should read my blog.

NickyT said...

It is a case of workplace bullying which is not a joke. I'm glad that you were in the right place to let her cry, vent and let somebody else know of this bullying taking place.

awareness said...

Reading this, unfortunately I can think of several people who could and would make another person cry in this particular workplace. How sick is that?

It blows my mind how disrespectful and disregarding some of the staff are, especially some in authority whose management techniques are filtered through fear and power and control.

That is completely despicable......I'm pissed NOW!!

b.c. Gurl said...

that's horrible - and it seems to be happening more and more - which is sad. Good for you for being there for (A) - as horrific as the bullying by (B), how sad is it that (A) has had no one to turn to until you came along - someone she just met! You a good one Princess :)