Thursday, March 08, 2007

I Just Don't Understand

While this post is judgmental, I admit that, I want you to know that there is not one single harsh, or nasty tone in my "voice".

I just don't understand why women smoke when they are pregnant. If you are currently or have done this in the past, please don't take offence. I just really don't understand.

Every day, I see the same obviously pregnant women outside smoking. I understand that smoking is an addiction and that it is more difficult than I could ever imagine to stop. But couldn't you do it for your poor defenseless fetus? There has been enough research done over the years that we all know how bad smoking is for our health. If you, as an adult, choose to smoke that is completely your decision and I have absolutely nothing to day about that. LOL... in fact, some of my best friends are smokers ;) But why, oh why would you do that to your baby? They don't have a choice. Hell, if you want to get up off the delivery table as they clean up the baby and go for a smoke, I'll hold your hand and help you down the hall. If only, you'll give it up during pregancy. I promise, I do!

Having made these comments, I will admit that I am completely, absolutely, and entirely anal when it comes to my child being exposed to cigarette smoke. She has never, ever been exposed to cigarette smoke in her 3 1/2 years. If she has been exposed when I'm not around, I'm completely unaware. For the safety of everyone, it would be better to hide if from me with all your being if she has been exposed.

It's easy for me because there is only one person in my immediate family that smokes. And to be honest, I always forget he smokes because I never see him do it. In fact, now that I think about it, he might purposely keep out of sight of the kids. I must say he is a very thoughtful smoker...hee hee hee. Thank you and I'm not being sarcastic!

It boggles my mind that the same person who won't eat even small amouts of tuna (due to mercury) during pregancy, will go out every hour on the hour and smoke. Helloooooo?

Ummm...well, I guess that all I have to say. Earlier this morning, someone asked me if I'd "been told yet today" as in has anyone told me off yet. The answer was no but this might just change things.

10 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Luckily I had quit (on my own) 4 mths before I became preggers. When I was preggers I couldn't stand the smell of anyone's clothing or the thought of smoking, I wanted to throw up, but when she was 6 wks old I picked it back up again.

I am an on again off again smoker, when times get tough for me, I light up but if there are kiddies around its a no, no, plus I don't want them to see it, they don't need to. My own kiddo has never seen me do it, I would be so embarrassed.

I am a true closet smoker (but not right now) :O)

The news article on CNN about the 2 & 4 year old smokin' dope, pissed me off bad! They've done that before, and the idiots filmed it...grrr!

Yeah, I wouldn't approach anyone, especially a pregger and discuss her smoking while with child, you would most definitely be TOLD! LOL

b.c. Gurl said...

OH I sooo agree with you!!!! It's a mere 9 mths of the poor childs life - give it's lungs a chance! and then - once they are born - go outside!! There's a girl that lives on our street - I wasn't here when she was pregnant - but apparently she smoked (and drank some too apparently) her whole pregnancy -- and continues to do so (baby turned 1 in January) - she's breastfeeding still too -- she does smoke outside - but she'll bring the baby out with her and sit him beside her...or she'll go for a smoke and then immediately feed him - k...the smoke is still on your clothes! We've also seen her with her 4yo on her lap while she's smoking...*anyway* the point to this rambling is that the baby has been in and out of the hospital with RSV, and has now been diagnosed with Asthma - he's only 1!!! and she has that 'oh poor me' 'I just can't understand it' 'why me' attitude -- heeelloooooo - do you have a brain? pretty simple equation - you smoked your whole pregnancy and still do around your kids, they're gonna have breathing problems!!!! ugh

Anonymous said...

This is one habit of my parents I never picked up. In fact, I find it totally revolting. Mum is a smoker and I won't even let her light up in the house anymore! LOL! She has to go outside in the cold. And it's her house! Hehe.

Seriously, if you're going to make the decision to carry a baby for 9 months, why would you willingly endanger it's health? Some people have absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Kimmartha said...

Hear, hear! It's amazing how self-centered some people can be. And yes, smoking/drinking/etc while pregnant is VERY self centered! When I was pregnant, I watched everything that went in my body - food, beverages (i.e. minimal pop, no coffee), OTC meds, everything. There was absolutely no way I was going to do something that would potentially hurt my babies.

Although it makes me sad to see loved ones smoking, I try not to be judgemental. Like you say, it is an addiction. My hubby is a smoker and it is not allowed anywhere in the house - this was the rule even before we had kids! I keep hoping that someday, he will be able to kick the habit...

Sunny said...

My Dad smoked when I was growing up. He quit 2 years before my Mom got sick...he has since started again. Although I don't like it I understand that he is and was very stressed and couldn't handle it on his own anymore.
I've never even taken a drag off of one. My Dad smoking turned me off of it for life.
It is funny that you posted this today because my co-worker and I were talking about that very same person just this morning and how we can't understand how anyone, with all that we know today, could smoke while pregnant. Too many things can go wrong and it is unfair to the little one.
What I also think is funny are the women who quit smoking during their pregnancy but once they give birth they start again...holy crap...you've just been able to give up a harmful habit for nine months SUCCESSFULLY!!! Why start up again?!!! Keep up the quitting instead!
I know it is easier said then done and it is not an easy habit to break so I try not to judge but when you are pregnant and sucking on your cancer stick I can't help but judge...even just a little.

Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"The real" MarthaSue said...

"Some people have absolutely no sense whatsoever!"

"And yes, smoking/drinking/etc while pregnant is VERY self centered!"

interesting....

NickyT said...

I have to agree w/ all statements. Grosses me out beyond to see a pregger woman smoking. For the record I did not smoke during pregnancy, but I was one that took it back up after breastfeeding.

I told myself, SELF when you turn 30 you will quit. Here I am hanging onto 31 and still smoking. I hate even letting people know I smoke.....it is so taboo and gross I know. My biggest obstacle is everybody around me in my family smokes. I have even tried hypnosis and still smoke. If I could lock myself away from them for a good Month I think I wouldn't wilt under pressure.

Queen Mel said...

Its still hard once you get back with them.....trust me. When those old family or friends resurface....it happens.

My sister (for whom I LUV dearly) (sarcasticly said) once told me she is glad I smoke because it doesn't make her look so bad in mom & dads eyes......nice huh?

Sunny said...

I realize how hard it is to stop smoking...my Dad has tried and failed on many occassions. It also doesn't help when you start smoking in school.
It can be hard to quit. Especially when people around you still smoke.
I still like you even if you smoke!