Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why?

Why is the fact that Tyra Banks weigh 161 lbs front page news? I read People Magazine online every day. In fact, I read a number of celebrity gossip stuff online each and every day. Most of it is pretty damn shallow. I get a very "junior high schoolish" charge out of seeing Paris Hilton make an ass out of herself on a very regular basis. I know that if people like me stopped caring that good-for-nothing-blond-waste-of-oxygen would disappear from the headlines. But the reality is we won't.

Most of the gossip sites I frequent are all shallow...each site is shallow across the board. People is a somewhat reputable magazine when it comes to celebrity magazines. What bothers me about them is that they will do a story on eating disorders, thin models/celebrities and how it affects American women/girls. But that very same issue will have someone's weight splashed on the front of the magazine.

Now, I'm know the article with Tyra was meant to be a feel good, I'm secure with my weight story. BUT, by making a big deal out it, in my opinion, it has a negative effect. Am I making sense? If her weight isn't a big deal than don't mention it. Gotta go home. Maybe I'll finish this later.

Okay, a further attempt at explaining...my point is not what anyone's weight may be...Nicole Richie, Tyra or anyone else. My point is that I really think People (supposed to be a reputable celeb mag) is totally sending mixed messages. No, let me try this again. My issue is that weight, high or low, should not be news. Regardless of size, if the media continues to report on weight than it will continue to be an issue for women.

The article on Tyra, to me is a prime example. If she is a good weight and happy about it than leave it be. To me, by making her measly 161 lbs and 32 inch waist an issue they are saying "Oh look Tyra is chunky but still manages to be happy." Sorry but this story doesn't come across as a feel good, inspiring story to me. It's just another case of the media bring weight and size to the fore front....again.

Oh, and let's not start with comments on my size. Only a few years ago I was over 30 lbs heavier than I am now. I was also the largest of my friends. While I may not have been obese, I was still the "different" girl. And let's not forget my friend who was going to kill themselves if they were my weight.

Re-reading this, the paragraph above sounds nasty but I don't mean it to be. My point is that I haven't always been my current size.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sit here, feeling all shallow, thinking - "Wow, I'd loooove to be 161 lbs."

NickyT said...

I too am a gossip hound!

Do you think that the press believes they can dictate what celebs should look like? For instance, Nicole Ritchie, The Olsens are too Skinny. Then they will say Tara is too big or BritBrit is putting on too much weight.

What in heck is the perfect body weight according the media?

It is sad that young girls look up to these celebs. That is whay Callie on Greys is my fave star - SHE is the NORM.

Did I go off topic on a rant? My ADD kicking back in again.

Anonymous said...

I hate the media and what it does to women. My number one thing use to be to lose weight, I have always struggled with my weight. I always thought growing up that I would be popular and get to hang out with the "pretty" girls if I was thin. Then I got older and grew a brain and realized that I was overweight when I met Shel, and he still married me...lol and then after Hannah was born I realized that I can't let this consume my life. No matter what size I am, my personality won't change so if someone can't see past the exterior then f**k em, because I don't need them in my life. So I eat healthy, I walk and if I lose...great if not, I am still happy.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I saw the pic on The Superficial and read the little blurb and wasn't impressed. She is not chunky. She actually looks healthy. Although I have found The Superficial amusing in the past, I won't bother now after this statement about Tyra:

"Being fat is cool if you're a sumo wrestler or a circus freak or a hot dog eating champion, but usually it's just gross. I'm not saying fat people can't be sexy, they just have to be clever about it. You know, like printing out a full sized poster of a supermodel and taping it to their neck. Or getting everybody in the world drunk. Or not being fat."

While People and other rags may be contradictory regarding weight, at least they have not sunk to that kind of low.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess its a good thing that I am married and don't have to get the whole world drunk...lol

Queen Mel said...

I have to admit my weight plays a huge factor into my life, I never had any weight issues whatsoever growing up as a child I was chunky (baby fat as people called it) as I became a teen I was "normal", in high school I was really thin from sports, in grade 9 I starved myself eating only 7 chef boy ardee Ravioli per day and water while biking and working out the rest of the time......

Now that I'm 30 I've come to realize the only person who matters is me, if I care about me then I need to take care of me, hence my new lease on life for 2007. I'm not going to make myself crazy, my goal is to just make myself do something, be a productive person every day.

The media is so harmful to everyone in so many ways. This entire model/actress WOMAN ideal has moved so far away from reality nobody seems to know right from wrong......The media takes away what we knew as right and replaces it with what they want us to know.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to see that as a cover story and I had mixed feelings. I thought "yay" they're finally saying being skinny isn't all that but then I was also disappointed because I didn't think Tyra looked "heavy", I thought she looked normal!
Shawn has a theory that in another 10 years, the Marilyn Monroe body will be the "in" body again - I can't wait!!
R