Saturday, January 06, 2007

Cookin' a Roast

I'm cooking a roast for the very first time. Seriously, it's the first time. I'm just not that into red meat so I've never bothered before. I'm definitely a meat eater, don't get me wrong but I've never eaten alot of red meat. I actually don't even like roast beef. I totally don't get it when people comment on how tender beef is and how you can just cut it with a fork. Meat of that consistency literally makes my stomach turn.
Growing up, my dad made roast beef on a regular basis and it was always that consistency. I call it the stringy consistency because that's what it reminds me of when it's that "tender". Everyone just raved about how tasty it was and I just ate it because there was no other alternative. My dad has started using a meat thermometer in recent years and it is much better but still not my cup of tea. Having said that, my dad also BBQs roast beef and I love it! I will fight for the crispy end piece.
All this dislike of roast beef has lead me to the decision to take a stab at it myself. I really don't think it's going to make a difference. But it's worth a try. I seared it first to seal in the juices and now I'm cooking it at 350 degrees until the meat thermometer says it done (med-rare). We'll see how it goes.
JJ has just informed me that she wants to paint. I told her after supper. She then said she has a plan. Her plan is that the 3 chocolate chip cookies she just ate were her supper and that she'll paint while Eric and I eat. She now sitting beside me yammering on about her plan again. I can't help but laugh. She thinks that if she tells me a plan that it is how things will be done. I can't wait to inform her, later in life, that things don't come to fruition just because you say it's a plan. Hell if that were the case I wouldn't be sitting her right now. Because plan is to be somewhere tropical. Shit she told me not to go into the kitchen. That is 3 year old code for you should really come in because I'm doing something I shouldn't be. Hitting publish not taking time to check spelling.

4 comments:

Kimmartha said...

I'm not a huge fan of the RB either, but I have discovered that if you cook it in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of mushrooms (not drained), it is tender, cooked through and delicious. Plus, you have instant gravy!

K

Anonymous said...

I actually like RB. I'm just not a big fan of steak. I prefer RB done in the oven, with potatoes, carrots, and turnip roasted in the pan right along with the beef.

NickyT said...

I love RB - I am making one tomorrow night for Supper!!

I sear as you do to keep in the juices, then load it with the Epicure Beef and Steak Seasoning, put celery & onions in the water, add salt, garlic salt, pepper and the seasoning to the water yummy!

I am more a medium well girl myself. :)

I too love any type of boiled dinner either ham or beef done with the veggies. Very much a meat and taters type of girl I am!

Sunny said...

I love any kind of roast!! RB and baked ham are my absolute favs. We used to eat ham at my grandmother's house almost every other Sunday. It was soooo good.
When I make RB or Pork I always put tons of onions, fresh garlic, fresh ground pepper and a little salt. It is always so good. I don't mind stuff done med-rare so long as it doesn't moo or oink at me.