Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sick Little Girl

I really have to learn to keep my mouth shut. Just last week I commented to my co-worker that JJ hadn't been sick in months. I knocked on wood but the gods are laughing now because I'm such a dumb ass. Rule #1 - Never comment on how well something is going because it will immediately go to pot.

That being said, I'm at home with JJ this afternoon. I had appointments at work this morning so the Mr. stayed home this a.m. and we traded off at noon. Last night around 9:30, JJ woke up crying and I noticed that her breathing was very raspy. She asked for a drink of water and went back to sleep. At 10:30 I'm laying in bed watching TV and I hear her cough a little bit, choke and than gasp for breath. Just ask me how fast I cleared that bed and landed in her doorway. Cripes, nothing scares be jebus out of me like a child who can't breath.

She cried for a little bit and her breathing was very raspy and sort of rumbled. It's hard to describe but I did not like it. You could tell that it was a hell of a lot of work for her to get a breath. I asked her if it was hard to breath and she said yes. By this time I have her on the kitchen counter and I 'm searching for an inhaler. She doesn't have asthma but the doctor prescribed it for a cough last year. The damn puffer was expired but I gave it to her anyway. I know, I know bad Momma but I just wanted to ease her breathing. I also rubbed some Vick's on her chest.

I didn't think she needed to go to the hospital but I got my bearings and stuff together just incase. Mr Princess was at basketball and I called him and ask him not to go for a beer afterwards incase she needed medical attention. Poor Mr Princess was banished to the spare room so JJ could sleep with me. For piece of mind, I needed to hear her breathing beside me all night. This morning I woke up to a little finger poking me saying "Momma, my throat is crusty."

We kept her home to keep an eye on her. Eric said there were times this morning that she even struggled to speak. Oddly enough, she has no cough. I tried to call the Dr but they aren't answering their phones today. I'll call first thing in the morning because this doesn't seem to be getting better. It totally disturbs me that my daughter sounds like a chainsaw when she breathes. Could be another long night....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your little one Princess. Have you tried calling the Telecare. I have never had to call but I hear good things about them especially when you can't reach your own doctor.

NickyT said...

I agree even though telecare will prolly tell you to bring her to the hospital for care - they might also be able to help you pinpoint what it is. My throat is crusty - hmmmmm - just trying to think what that description might mean lol.

awareness said...

it sounds like croup. Has she ever had it before? It comes on that quickly and scares the lights out of me. My son had many bouts of it when he was younger.

Kimmartha said...

I was thinking it sounds like croup too - T had it a couple of times and it is scary to listen to. Hope she's feeling better soon!

The Original Princess said...

She has had croup before but I don't think that's what it is. She not coughing. Anyway, she is much better this morning. She's congested but it seems to be contained to her nose now.
I've asked the daycare to call me ASAP if she starts to sounds like a poorly running motor again.

b.c. Gurl said...

Hope JJ is still doing well today - does she have 'cold induced asthma'? that's what Em has/had (she's doing much better with it now, but she rarely has a cold - i've just jinxed myself!) but it used to be that even the sniffles would mean a struggle for her to catch her breath
oh..and I've been known to give an expired inhaler too - basically had to get a new one for every cold...so don't beat yourself up about that!
If she's better, great :) if not, I'd get her in to see someone, just in case - chest infections and things don't always come with a cough (though croup almost always does I think)