Friday, June 02, 2006

What Would You Do

What would you do if you won the lottery? I participate in an office lottery pool with 5 other people. Every Friday afternoon we collect the money and 4 of us go for coffee and buy the tickets. It's a fun way to break up a long Friday afternoon.
Now, they say you'll never win if you have the money spent. But after 6 months of no wins, I'm not too concerned. I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and they were discussing the guy who won $34 million in Quebec. He told reporters he wasn't gonig to share the money with his family. So, the radio station I was listening to asked listeners to call in and say whether or not they would share with their families. This one lady calls in the says she "thinks" she would share with her family.
I would absolutely share with my family. Some members may only get a one way ticket to Siberia but at least I'm sharing. Let's go on the premise that I've won 34 million like the guy in Quebec. First thing I would do is take my friends and family on vacation somewhere to get away from the media scrutiny. I'm pretty close with even my extended family so I would definitely want most of them there....the others will be on their way to Siberia anyway. I'm not sure where the vacation will be but definitely a beach destination. So if you ever get a cryptic call from me telling you to pack a bag and be at a specific location just do it...you won't be sorry.
My next order of business would be to buy quite a bit of property in Shediac. My family has always spent alot of time in Shediac during the summer. I love Shediac. Some of my best memories are from time spent in Shediac. I would build a cottage each for Eric & I, my parents, and Jenn & Jon. I would also have 1 or 2 other cottages so friends and extended family could come and stay as well. Our cottages would be nice with all the amenities but nothing crazy like you see in the Hamptons, NY. I still want that cottage feel.
I would spend my summers in Shediac but I'll definitely need a winter place somewhere warm. I don't think I would pick Florida for my winter home because they have poisonous snakes, alligators, and high crime rates. This is a topic for another blog but in short those are my 3 main criteria for places I will visit or live. Odd but, seriously, this is me...are you really surprised?!?
I might build my winter home on a carribean island because $34 million I could afford to fly there whenever I want. I would again have accomodations for friends and family to visit as they please. You see, if my friends and family weren't around then I wouldn't be able to enjoy my homes anyway. It's a win win situation.
I would still maintain a home in Fredericton because this is my hometown and where my friends and family are. Besides, nothing beats the fall in New Brunwick. I would even stay on Jewett St. I would just do some renos and maybe buy out my neighbours on either side.
Next, would come the financial issues. First, of course, I would put money is trust for Jillian so she will be set for life. She WILL NOT be the next Paris Hilton so I need to figure some stuff out there. But I think I have some time...LOL. I would also set up something for my niece, Lauren. Next, I would make a very large donation to Jillian's current daycare. Not only to the daycare but to make sure all the girls there are set and comfortable. Again, it's a topic for another day but I can't begin tell you how much I love the girls who work at her daycare.
I haven't really thought past that point. I'd travel alot, I know I'd want to make a contribution to society both financially and thru volunteering, I might take some courses at the university and maybe get my masters in Criminology. Who knows maybe I'd go on to get my PhD.
Of course, I'd have the best scrapbook studio on the east coast with lots of room for my friends. Oh, and I'd leave plenty of time for pedicures with my peep...my treat!
Now you tell me....what would you do with $34 million?

3 comments:

Dee said...

I would definately spread it around with my family and friends too. I have a favorite Uncle and Aunt that I would build a beautiful new house for and they would never have to worry again. I would put money away for my girls and my 8 neices and newphews, never have to worry about Nic keeping my receipts again, oh, I could go on and on and on. Thanks for the chance to dream a little Sarah, really makes me think about the important people in my life! Have a great weekend.

Queen Mel said...

There are so many options to explore...

We have discussed this very subject as have my hubby and I. We would most definitely help out our families, but with "my" family type I would be playing favourites as in, the people who spoke nice to me 60% of the time would be the "lucky ones", the others would still have to work for a living because that would give me that warm "fuzzy" glow inside (heh, heh). Lee's family, well - no questions, there would never be any finanical worries for them EVER again, oh yeah and my mom & dad would live in the lap of luxury which for them is right where they are at now expect my mom needs a new piece put on that already too big house so she can store her clothing...LOL

As for us, well, pretty much what Princess said, that is the "perfect" plan in my books. Ahhhh! Wouldn't that be great?

NickyT said...

Ummmm - ditto pratically all that you said.
Except, we will pay off our parents and siblings current debts, make sure they are in a home mortgage free. Give them a chunk probably 1million if it was 34 million and tell them that they are NOT to ask for more LOL.
We would have a trip, stay in Fredericton, have another home on PEI like those BIGGGG homes you see there that are on those private beaches that they showcase in magazines.
Smiles, Nick