Friday, June 16, 2006

Claudia

Have you ever had someone come into your life and you realize very quickly they are going to be special and have an impact on you? I have. Her name is Claudia and she has been Jillian's teacher at daycare this past year. In my short 29 years, I've had a number of special people come in, and out, of my life. But for me, when it involves my daughter I really take notice.
I think we are so lucky that we've had Claudia in our lives this past year. She is so amazing as a teacher, care provider, and as a person. She does so much for our children that I don't know where to start. I know that Jillian just loves her and I know that Claudia really loves the kids too. Every day on the way home from work Jillian talks about the things she has done that day with Claudia and her friends. At home, if she does or says something new I'll ask her "Who taught you that?" and 99% of the time the answer is the same "Claudia!" Jillian also really likes Claudia's husband and her 2 sons.
Jillian is not yet 3 years old and she know tons of spanish words, she knows her ABC's, she can count to 20, she knows her colors, she knows the names of every animal we ever see in a book, she is always suprising me by naming items. Most of this comes from Claudia at daycare.
All the stuff she learns is great. But you know what I love the most? The relationship Jillian and Claudia have. I love the fact that they hug and say I love you to each other. I love that Jillian tells me at night that she loves Claudia. I love that Claudia disciplines her much the same as I would.
Side note - one day Jillian was freaking out when I picked her up to go to an appt. Claudia helped me try to calm her down. Jilian continued to freak and eventually Claudia said "Enough.", put her coat on her and carried her to the door all the while Jillian is screaming and writhing like she's growing a second head. I love the fact that Claudia and I were on the exact same page for that incident.
I don't get to see Claudia every day because she gets there shortly after we drop Jillian off and she leaves shortly before we pick Jillian up. But she still keeps me informed. She calls to let me know if anything significant as happened during the day (JJ bit someone or someone bit her, JJ cut her hair etc). But she also calls to tell me funny stories about Jillian. Jililan was sick last week and Claudia called me to tell me of events that were coming up and also to see how Jillian was feeling. She even called me one evening this week at home just to tell me Jillian had a good day. How can you beat that...I couldn't ask for anything more.
More than being Jillian's care provider, I really like Claudia as a person. She is friendly, kind, energetic and fun. Have I mentioned she has the patience of a saint? She cares for 6 kids under the age of 3 every day. She has a helper but Claudia is the main care provider. Can you imagine having 6 kids at various stages of potty training, 6 kids all trying to establish their independance, 6 kids all wanting you to look at their art work, needing naps, needing lunch, needing their noses wiped, needing help with boots and snowsuits. Yet she always makes time to talk to me if I call and she always has a smile on her face.
I've been thinking about this stuff because Jillian is moving to a different class, at the same daycare, on July 4. I'm excited for Jillian knowing that she will have new experiences, new adventures, and a new bond with her new teacher. But I'm also sad that she won't be with Claudia every day. Lucky for us we will have Claudia at the daycare until she goes on maternity leave in December. You know what? I feel bad for the person who replaces Claudia because boy will they have some big shoes to fill. I hope that every child and family has the opportunity to have "their own Claudia" come into their lives.
I wish I could tell Claudia how much she means to us but how do you do that? I'd really like her to know. These aren't the kinds of hhtings I can just bring up in a conversation - I'd feel dumb. I could give her a copy of this but it seems egotistical to give her a copy of my own writing. Oye...this is hard.

4 comments:

b.c. Gurl said...

that's beautiful :) Being on the other side as the care taker, let me tell you...one of the best things you could do is write this out in a card or letter for her - she would cherish it forever!! I wish all parents could be as interested and involved as you are. Working in a daycare is tough...there are days when you just want to scream and/or cry..but the sad thing is, it's not because of the kids...it's the parents. Some are very unappreaciative and not involved at all. It's such a breath of fresh air to have a parent that truely cares and sees their daycare provider as more than a babysitter

Queen Mel said...

I agree with BC Gurl....

Make her a card and give it to her with that very message inside. If you feel that stronge about it and you do then let her know. The gratification to know you've done an awesome job and someone noticed is the best gift of all for anyone.

Dee said...

You sure do have a way with words girl. I think that she would love to have a copy of this post in a card or however you want to present it to her. I had a "Melissa" ot "Sissa" as the girls called her, in our daycare that was amazing! I made her an "ABC" mini-scrapbook using different words for each letter - sometimes putting in little things that the girls said. It was so nice I almost wanted to keep it (but I didn't). I think it would mean alot to Claudia.

I too was on the other side as a child care provider and I agree with bc girl..it was so nice to hear that "thank you" from the parents!

NickyT said...

Maybe, give her a gift but put the letter inside somewheres where she will find it alone not with you right there so you don't get the silly feeling of wearing your emotions in front of her. :) She sounds like a funtabulous lady who is helping Eric & You make Jillian a sweet little girl!