Thursday, June 29, 2006

Wellness Day

Wow, I've been MIA for a few days and I have lot to say. However, this would be 10 pages long so I'll keep it to one topic.
Yesterday I was at a work Wellness Day in Woodstock. It was a good day. I taught my stamping class in the morning and I think it was rather successful. On Monday they told me I had 18 people signed up, Tuesday they updated that number to 20. In the end over 30 people showed up to my class! I was surprised and I somewhat flattered. I don't want to get too flustered over it because I heard someone say they chose stamping because it was the only non-work related session. Ahhh...you win some, you lose some.
As you may have guessed my class consisted of all women. They did quite well. I was pleased to see that some ladies took my idea and then put their own spin on it. One woman thought she had made a mistake and showed me her card. She said "What would you call this?" I replied "Creative license...there are no mistake in stamping." She turned away with a big grin on her face.
As I was demonstrating the projects, I emphasized the importance of cleaning the stamp before using another color ink pad. I told them "I won't yell at you if you stamp black flowers in my yellow ink pad. BUT you might have to pick me up off the floor as I cry." Well, you can only guess that is exactly what someone did. My brand new barely banana ink pad has the work *wish* perfectly stamped in it 3 times. One of the ladies pointed it out to me and I said "That's alright. Remember I said I would only cry not yell." as I smiled. I was actually okay with it. Jeanette - you can pick your jaw up off your keyboard now.
I used the stamp set Shapes and Shadows for our project. Shelley was kinda enough to lend me her set so I could have 2 stamping stations on the go. The stamps sets fared relatively unscathed. One of my stamps has some yellow on the wood. Excuse me for a moment while I feverishly sand the ink off the block while I rock back and forth in catatonic state


Okay,I'm over it...for now. Shelley I'll be over for counselling shortly.

All in all the class went well. I overheard people who didn't take my class commenting positively on the projects too. I was also approached to teach a few stamping/card making classes as part of the "Lunch and Learn" series at work. I said I would do it after the summer. Should be interesting. I should probably start building up a supply of valium now. With more classes my stamps are bound to get dirty. I'll be needing copious amounts of valium.
I've got one more thing to tell you about yesterday. We did team building exercises and one of the games was a chicken slingshot. It was a riot. One person held a hula hoop as a target. Two other team members each held an end of a long elastic type rope while the rest of us used the elastic to fling the chickens. I loved it!! In fact, I'm thinking of staring a petition to have it sanctioned as an olympic sport.

3 comments:

Queen Mel said...

OMG, black on your barley banana, course I would have giggled when I saw it (thankful I hadn't done it, course it might have been me to do it) but I can't imagine the look on your face, it had to have been priceless.

I'm very glad it went well, I bet you probably inspired them very much, did anyone show a further interest in the hobby?

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Thank goodness you updated your blog!!! I told Queenofthetay that I was going through withdrawl with these blogs not being updated!!!
You are soo funny and I enjoy reading your blogs so much. We really need to meet when I come up again.
April

b.c. Gurl said...

so glad you took the plunge and did the class :) and that you came out unscathed of course! thank god for sandpaper -

chicken flinging sounds like a riot!!!