Monday, June 19, 2006

Potential for a Meltdown

The gov't department I work for is having a Wellness Day for our region in Woodstock next week. It will consist of multiple sessions we can choose to participate in....one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was approached today about putting on a card making/rubber stamping session or a scrapbooking session. Secretly I was kinda flattered that they asked me but I played it cool. We have a ton of super talented artists of all types in our office...we even have an art hallway where we can display our work.
I told them that I didn't think scrapbooking would be a good session for a few reasons. The sessions are supposed to be 45 mins long. Even me, the windbag that I am, could not talk to a room full of people for that long about scrapbooking...unless they were already scrappers but that is not a guarantee. There isn't the time or funds available for me to help everyone make a layout. So scrap that idea...hehehe I made a funny.
We talked about doing a stamping demo and everyone could make a card to take home. I would precut the cardstock and all that stuff and the participants would only have to stamp their images and put the card together. I figured out the cost and gave it to the organizer. The plan is 25 people in each the morning and afternoon session so I'm not footing the cost for that. I said if they paid for the cardstock I'd provide the use of my stamps and ink pads. I'll find out tomorrow if it's a go.
So I started thinking about this tonight. Those of you who know me well can probably foresee the issues that could cause a potential meltdown here. First and foremost, WHAT IF SOMEONE GETS INK ON THE WOODEN BLOCK OF MY STAMPS?!?! For he love of god, kill me now. We all know how absolutely, fanatically anal I am about that. Can you imagine me jumping a co-worker and screaming at them because they got ink on the block? Oh, did I mention the participants will be my co-workers? Then I'd sit down, cry about it, and refuse to talk to anyone for the rest of the day. Should make me lots of friends, huh?
Next problem, I speak so ridiculously fast. Really, I sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks on speed...and that's on a good day. Add a large Tim's coffee, that I'll drink on the way there, to the mix and people just stare at me with a completely bewildered look on their face trying to figure out what the hell I've just said. By the time they realize, I've said "Good morning and welcome to Cardmaking 101", I've already gotten pissed that they haven't even been entheusiastic enough to say good morning back, told them all where to shove it, stormed out of the room and I'm telling my story to the poor sucker in the hall. Follow me here?
Oh, who am I kidding?? Given my track records, I lost them the moment I walked in the room with my skirt stuck in the back of my thong. They're all laying in the aisle laughing and didn't even hear my say good morning.

2 comments:

NickyT said...

U Can Do IT!!!

Remeber, when you first started SB and was like WOW that looks so hard - especially rubber stamping for me!

Want to borrow my stamps. I rarely even clean mine (gasp). I get to caught up creatively to be bothered (cough, cough, lazy, laugh, laugh!)

Queen Mel said...

1. Wear the white skirt with a leopard thong, if the demo goes really bad tuck the skirt into the thong - you've done it before!

2. I pitty the fool that gets ink on YOUR stamps - been there done that! oye!

3. Dumb it down for them, I know you can, it causes you to talk slow anyway, you do it for me all the time - LMAO.....

4. Can we come and heckle you?