Saturday, February 03, 2007

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

JJ and I are sitting here watching the new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I love the book and the original (?) with Gene Wilder. I could watch it over and over. However, this new version doesn't do much for me. It's too dark. The story has a dark undertone and even movie itself is visually dark. And Johnny Depp, who plays Willie Wonka? Well, he just looks plain creepy.

Does anyone who live in Nasis growing up, remember going to the Junior High school on Wednesday afternoon to watch the movie in the theatre? The cost was $1 and the place was usually packed. I lived for the times they showed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I remember sitting there and feeling so sad that the movie was going to end. I was in my own fantasy land while watching it.

Okay, I just noticed that Violet Beauregard is that the factory with the over-bearing, pushy, barbie-doll mother. What's with that? She's suposed to be with her schmuck saleman father. DOH! Stick to the story.
Oh, and the Oompa Loompas are supposed to be orange! I must find the original somewhere for JJ to watch. I must.

Hmmm...clearly Tim Burton directed this movie because dolls just caught on fire. This is a bit warped. Violet Beauregard had better turn into a blueberry, dammit :)

5 comments:

b.c. Gurl said...

I hear ya!! I *love* Johnny Depp and only watched the movie because he was in it...but I didn't like it at all - didn't even finish it! and I didn't like Johnny Depp in it--at all! I know that he could have played the perfect Willie Wonka - but that version...ick!
Can you believe that Fred never watched or read it when he was a kid?? hmmm...rainy day today and tomorrow...maybe I'll head to the video store for the older version :)

and yes...I remember the movies at Nasis!! I especially remember going to see E.T. there -- so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I have the original version if you would like to borrow it, no child should go without seeing the original. Just let me know.

Sunny said...

I remember going to those! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorite books. I love Raul Dahl (sp?)!!!! I can still remember my english teacher in grade four (Mrs. Fullerton) reading us "James and the Giant Peach"...I was in french immersion so I looked forward to the hour we spend listening to her read us that book and then another and another...I've read every book by that author now and enjoyed every one of them.
I've seen the original movie of course and it wasn't too bad but the book is sooooo much better. I hate EVERYTHING Tim Burton has ever directed. He sucks! All of his stories are twisted and screwed up. I can't even watch his version of this beloved classic.

Mad&Soapy said...

I have the original too! In fact, I got it for M when she was JJ's age. When the new one came out - she was totally confused! LOL She liked the original better too. Although the tone is dark and twisted - I did enjoy the ending a little better...but over all, there's nothing like the original. Let me know if you want it and I'll hook ya up!

Kimmartha said...

I have not seen the original, but we have watched the new version twice. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I didn't mind it. I was a bit disappointed with the "darkness" of it, but you've got to admit, the whole walking in to the glass elevator scenes were funny!