Friday, February 23, 2007

Headlines

Here are a few headlines that have caught my attention lately:

CNN this morning - "Roaming death squads litter city with bodies" I didn't even open the article. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'm thankful, as always, to be Canadian.

Capital FM News on Tuesday - "Prime Minister Stephen (just don't call him Steve) Harper has committed $110 million to AIDS research and philanthropists, Bill and Melinda Gates have committed $20 million" Okay, I have a few things to say here. Obviously I think AIDS research is important but $110 million? I have to ask, with our crumbling hospitals, dying medicare system, lack of doctors and chronic shortage of nurses, just who is going to administer the treatment when they find a cure? We can allocate $110 million to AIDS research but we can find a few hundred thousand to fund a few more seats at med schools? Now, I*know* these are separate federal and provincial issues. However, our health care system is in trouble across the country. Alberta already has somewhat of a two-tier healthcare system. Provinces fight over nurses. Pierre Trudeau's medicare system is, in my opinion, dying. Cancer patients wait almost a year to start treatment in some cases and that is after the ridiciously long wait for a diagnosis. Okay, I'm done now. Not because I have said everything I have to say but because my brain is being taken over by meds now.

Can't remember the source - A late night television comedian refuses to use Britney's latest situation as material. He says it's not a laughing matter. Oh c'mon, you knew I was going to comment on her in some form. It's about damn time someone realized this girl is ill. I think that girl is suffering from post partum and/or is manic depressive. I'm certainly no expert but it plain to see she is very ill. Kudos to this comic for taking the high road.

JJ and I are home sick again. She has a terrible cough...much worse than yesterday. Me, I'm just hoping my head doesn't explode from sinus pressure. I'm thinking seeing that happen as a child would leave long lasting trauma. ;)

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Here! Here!! on the AIDS thing. You are 100% on the ball with that one. I said the exact same thing when we heard it on the CBC the other day. Sure AIDS is important and we should find a way to do something about it but could they not have put a bit of that 110 million into something more pressing?!! Cancer kills more people in Canada then AIDS. Sure AIDS kills lots of people around the world each year HOWEVER...I think we should worry about cleaning our own houses first before we start dictating how others should be keeping theirs.

Queen Mel said...

Ah yes but this morning they announced that its going to cost $500 M to upgrade our rural postal service - are you on crack? This whole mail delivery service has pissed me off from the beginning, so now their going to sink $500 M into re-vamping, can you not do it slowly? Oh thats right, Canada Post had a profit last year so they put up their postal prices and re-vamp the system....grr!

NickyT said...

I agree don't get me wrong. I don't think that anybody deserves to die from any disease without yet a cure. But, like J said HELLO Stevey Bush, Cancer?? I really would like to see how much funding our government has put into Cancer research lately.

Also, saw on TV that he possibly did this cause he refused an invite to a International Confernce on AIDS that Bill Gates & Bill Clinton were at Toronto Months ago. That he was getting a lot of slack from that *community* and Gates.

Now, lets talk BritBrit shall we? I am a total celebrity gossip follower freakoid. I admit it. I don't know if I could NOT know what was going on with the Britster. I would like to think that the paparrazi and media would leave her alone for a bit in rehab but then I wouldn't know what was going on....kinda greedy of me I know.

I don't know if it was *totally* postpartum. Maybe postpartum and a mixture of drugs perhaps?