Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Don't Wanna Be Punched

JJ has been a bit of a hellraiser the past few days. Sunday was frustrating beyond belief. She didn't listen to a word we said, she screamed rather than spoke, and thought pushing and hitting was all of a sudden acceptable. I thought she had cabin fever from being at home for 4 days.

It turns out she had an awful day at daycare yesterday too. Her teacher said she wouldn't listen, she was screaming, pushing, her friends, used one little boy's head as a drum, and was out right defiant with another teacher. Last evening wasn't much better. JJ experienced multple time outs last evening.

Today, her teacher said she had a much better day. However, the minute we started walking to the car at daycare, she was screeching at me. It didn't go over well. We got her in the car and she asked for a hug. I gave her a few hugs and then got in the car. As we started to drive away, she starts fake crying and whining that she wants a hug. At first, I tried to explain that I couldn't reach her and it wasn't safe to take off my seatbelt. She continued and finally I told her that I was done talking to her about it. She had a choice to make. She could stop crying and get a hug when she got home or if she chose to keep crying and whining I would punish (new word for her) by taking her Dixie Chicks CD when we got home. She turn off her fake crying and says "But I don't wanna be punche, Mommy." Oye. It took me awhile to clarify for her because I was laughing so hard.

I have to make sure to explain to daycare tomorrow incase she tries to tell them I was going to punch her. What funniest about this is that I have *never* hit her. I have never even tapped her hands if she went near a stove or something. Kids.

Here's a little side note, she is currently screaming at the top of her lungs because I just took away the CD. I've been asking her to lay down and go to sleep for over 30 mins now. Fun.

10 comments:

LadyLipgloss said...

Cowboy, take me away...

Anonymous said...

You guys have to stop telling me all these stories...remember I still have a 7 month old that I have to go thru all this with...lol

Kimmartha said...

She has been sick for a few days, right? Have you had her ears checked? No, I'm not being sarcastic. Both my kids had ear troubles, T's were the worst. Anyway, when he was coming down/had an ear infection, he couldn't hear properly and he would get frustrated and act similarly to how JJ is acting right now because of this frustration. It may not be the reason, but might be something to check into...for your sanity if nothing else!! haha!

Queen Mel said...

Jennypooh - c'est la vie.

Princess - stick to your guns girl.....its hard as you know (you've heard that from me many times) but it does work in the long run. Whats worse is if Kimmartha is right and it is her ears....either way it appears to be her ears not working weather by sickness or her own will....

Stay Strong! Oh yeah, and stop punching your kid!!!!

The Original Princess said...

Her ears are working just fine. This is because she turns around and says "No!"

Anonymous said...

We have a little boy that we're ready to give away these days...wanna switch?
R

The Original Princess said...

Does he like the Dixie Chicks? If so, there is no deal, Sistah!

Sunny said...

My son is driving me crazy too. Last night 45 minutes before his DARE graduation we were informed by email that he was not allowed to attend. He didn't complete his essay so they banned him frmo the ceremony!!! Can you imagine?!! Yes, he was irresponsible but why would a teacher wait until less then an hour before to tell me with a random email that he was not allowed to go. I was livid! The professional/logical thing to do would be to have called me or emailed the night before telling me that he hadn't handed it in yet and that if it wasn't handed in he was not going to be able to attend! She is such a waste of oxygen...oh yes Princess...it only gets worse from here. M was a wonderfully polite little boy full of hugs and kisses, please and thank yous, until he got to school. It all went downhill from there.
Sorry Jenn!!! That's what you have to look forward to. At least until they move out and have kids of their own and realize how bad they were as kids!! lol!!!

b.c. Gurl said...

I'd love to tell you that it gets better.....so I just won't say anything at all ;)
consitency though...that's what counts -- you can't let her whine to get her way for anything -- simply ignore it (much easier said than done) - and simply state that 'when you use a calm, big girl voice then I will listen' - and at first you'll have to label it for her -- 'JJ you're whining,...not acceptable, mommy won't listen to it, big girls don't do that, the dixie chicks don't do that....' ya gotta mix it up so they hear it, and you'll have to model it for her (whatever it is she wants - so in the car it would have been 'mommy can I have a hug when we get home' and of course you play up the answer in an excited and happy voice and tell her she did a great job using her normal voice :)....it's a control thing at that age - they want more, but they're not ready for great gads of it -- give her lots of choices -- logical ones like - 'do you want an apple or an orange for snack? - do you want to have peas or green beans for supper?' -- only give her the choices that are acceptable to you - obviously 'do you want an apple or candy for snack?' is not a good choice to give :) give it a few days of her making choices and ignoring the whining and it should go away (not that it will never come back..cause oh my it will!) but if you're consistent everytime it gets easier -- Em is going through another whine to get what I want stage - mood swings I tell ya!!!! but she knows that she will not get anything from me by whining - I don't even have to say anything to her now, just give her a look :) and at her age - any age really -- it has to be logical consequences for a misbehaviour -- if you make a mess, you clean it up - - in the car I probably would have said her choice was to stop crying and get a hug as soon as you got out of the car, or continue crying and get no hug when you get home -- they can't relate the hug and the cd - they don't have anything to do with each other - make sense?? but in both choices the hug comes when you get home, which is the outcome you want.
ok...i'll get off my parenting course soap box now -- phew -- I miss teaching parenting courses....hmmmm, maybe that's where I should put my efforts :) this is where all this stuff comes from, but I practice what I preach - and it works -- my kids aren't angels by any means, but they are respectful, helpful and happy kids
good luck!

Queen Mel said...

LMAO...how can "she" teach her kid not to whine, when she does it ALL the time...snicker, snicker, it won't work.....

Oh and by the way......choices for them are Timbits or chocolates....LMAO......

joking!!!! not about the whining though :O)