Monday, December 18, 2006

I'm Baaaaccckkk

Hmmm...I'm able to log in to blogger from work again...great!!

So Mr. Princess and I took JJ to see Happy Feet this weekend. Ummm...I'm not sure I would use the word Happy in the same sentence as that movie. It was just plain weird and not the happy, uplifting, dancing penguin movie I was anticipating. The beginning was very dark and I don't just mean visually dark. There were weird chanting penguins and it was not at all the scene I would use for the opening of a children's movie.
Fast forward to the demonic seal in the movie. This seal is chasing the main character and the looked like a creature straight from the bowels of hell...complete with red eyes and sharp, pointed, flesh shredding teeth. JJ does not scare easily but she was glued to my arm likely fearing that Lucifer's pet seal was going to jump from the screen and tear her limbs from her body.
Fast forward again to the main character waking up in an exhibit in a zoo. The narrator talks about the penguin's adjustment to the zoo. And at one point says "...after 3 months Mumbles had lost his mind." At this point, the penguin starts seeing apparitions of his friends and family at home and is yelling to them. The apparitions disappear and the penguin starts hurling dead fish against the wall. At this point, alot of children in the theatre are saying "Where is his mommy? Where is his family?" I looked at my watch and just about died thinking this was the end of the movie. I'm thinking they CANNOT end a kids movie like this. What is the moral here? Don't dance or you'll be locked up and go crazy??
Thankfully that wasn't the end but the ending didn't impress me much anyway. I would not rate this movie highly has a kids movie. JJ seems fine after having watched the movie. Me...I'm pretty sure I now have a phobia of seals.

5 comments:

NickyT said...

I don't know why Pixar and Disney think that kids movies have to be like that.

Gone are the days of our Childhood of the Fairytale movies of Cinderella, SnowWhite, Alice In Wonderland. Princesses, Princes & Magic. The worse thing we saw was Bambi's Mom being shot!

I'm sure there is lots to debate about my above comment. People say that those movies where not good for us. It always made the male out to be the Herion. Or that Alice in Wonderland was based on a acid trip of Hans Christen(Sp?). Either way to my naive eyes of a child it sure was a helluva a lot better then what is out there today in the computer animated cartoons.

I can remeber watching Little Mermaid with Tori and you know the bad Mermaid......and her tossing her boobies around in her song!!

Anonymous said...

I agree that Happy Feet wasn't as happy as we were all led to believe in the ads ... but when is an ad ever really accurate?

It did have two very good messages in it though - accepting those that are different from everyone else and caring for our environment.

I would definitely NEVER recommend this movie to small children - the seal thing scared the crap out of ME! And the whole zoo thing - I freakin' bawled my head off, almost sobbing for the love of God! during that whole segment.

The only great thing about the movie was Robin Williams - he cracks me up! I LOVED Ramon!

Mad&Soapy said...

Yeah...we were unlucky enough to watch it...only a short while after Sophia was totally terrorized by the "Leopard Seal" that jumps out of the belly of a killer whale in the Movie "8 below"...Needless to say, she now takes a bath with...well...we've managed to get up to about 3 inches so far...wich is better than the stand up waterless shower we had to take a couple weeks ago!! Happy feet - Scary as hell if you're 4!!

Anonymous said...

Too bad they didn't have a rating system to let us know that the movie isn't inteneded for 3 and 4 year olds.......like if it said PG or something....oh wait, it does...haha

NickyT said...

It is also to bad that they market the movie to that age bracket also. In toys, commercials and such. Just wait I betcha McDonalds will have a Happy Feet toy in their Happy Meals!