Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Beth

There is a lady I work with, I'll call her Beth, who has really had an impact on me. I've been meaning to write this post for quite sometime but the words always seem to escape me. So why today? I received a Christmas card from Beth today that made me cry. The message was only a few lines long but it touched me. I thought to myself that I've met someone who gets it.
Our work lives are not easy. We deal with the part of society that is down & out and often has nowhere else to turn. I often feel a real sense of helplessness at not being able to do more to help our clients. I love my job but I want, no I need to make more of a difference. I'm confident that my time will come. Where does Beth fit into all of this? She inpires me.
I'm relatively young and I often get eye rolls because of my idealistic thoughts. The message that I derive is that they think I'll get a reality check sooner or later. Beth has many life experiences, years of work experience, a wealth of knowledge and she still has a deep desire to make a difference.
Beth has had a rough go at work in the past little while. Yet when I speak to her or read her writing it always inspires me. No matter how defeated she seems to feel, no matter how many brick walls she comes up against, no matter how futile things may seem she always has hope. She always comes back to work the next day ready to help our clients, ready to look at things from another angle, take a different approach, and do it all with a renewed positivity.
I often battle a suffocating negativity at work. Sometimes I leave at the end of the day dreading the morning to come. Sometimes that next day I arrive already in a bad mood. But I can always go read Beth's writing and feel inspired to keep going and try to make a difference. If she can continue to be positive and contribute her valuable ideas and knowledge than I can continue to do my part.
Beth is incredibly intelligent, she's funny, witty, appropriately sarcastic, a caring soul, a talented writer, an active member in her community, and a proud mother. She makes a difference in the lives of those who need it the most...myself included.
So do you want to know the simple message that made me cry? She told me not to stop caring...exactly what I needed to hear the most.

9 comments:

awareness said...

Margaret Mead stated: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I bet my Princesspollyanna tiara that every single one of those committed people were idealists!

your post made my eyes krinkle from a teary smile. :)

Merry Christmas, kindred spirit.

Sunny said...

I have a lady at my work (may be the same lady) that throws herself into her work, sees the beauty in people that others have thrown away. Her writing always makes me grateful for what I have and makes me yearn for those who don't have anything. Helping the unemployed, down-an-out people day to day can be draining and I get frustrated when good people who just need a little help get lost in the system. Every now and then I am able to help someone regain their self-worth, they thank me and the world becomes just a bit better.
I think this year I will give everyone a donation in their name to the Human Fund. Best investment one can make.
P.S. I am jealous of the Secret Santa party!!! You guys are so close with one another. I wish that I had something like that. You are very fortunate.

Sunny said...

The lady you are refering to IS THE SAME LADY!!!! Isn't she amazing?!!!

NickyT said...

If just 1 person recgonizes me as being the person that 2 sets of eyes has put on Beth during my lifetime then all is not lost.

It is unfortunate that many myself included do not fully understand and realize the hardship that others struggle with.

Those few words - those very few words can speak volume *Don't stop caring* But you know what - I know you never will Stop!

On a side note - JM - I clicked the link to your Blog. I just realized who you are. I read the column in The Daily Gleaner Letters to the Editor Section. I cried. I cried for you, I cried for your Mom. That was the most well written, heartfelt editorial. I thought to myself, "They better watch out that Girl is on a MISSION!"

Awareness - I have never heard or read that quote before. But, it is in my faves now!

Kimmartha said...

It is definitely more work to be positive than negative, but oh so worth it in the long run. It is so wonderful that you have such an uplifting inspiration in your field - if you haven't already, let her know what you just shared with us. I am sure she will have a similar reaction to yours when you read her card today.

K

Queen Mel said...

Kimartha is right, it is a more of a struggle to stay positive rather than negative and in the past year (with the help of these great people who surround me) I am realizing its worth it. Life is too short to stay mad, plus it is no fun at ALL.

Also, I have come to the realization that receiving gifts will never give you the warm fuzziness that giving gifts do. I said that to my mom last night and she said "aren't you getting anything for Christmas?". I said "would it matter?".

The Original Princess said...

JM -It's most definitely the same person. :)

You know, the best thing about my girls is that they are always welcoming of new additions to our group...hint, hint. You should come to the crop at Nic's on Jan 27. It's 6 pm - midnight and I think it's $15. Nic correct me if I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

I like nice people and merry Christmas Sarah. You aren't idealistic and yes I can understand how the environment you are in can be really negative and how you might feel like you can't make a difference in the current system.
Don't get hard-hearted! Don't let others make you feel like giving up!

Amy

Sunny said...

Thanks Princess! I'd love to come and be part of such a crazy (in a great way) bunch of gals and maybe do a bit of scrappin' as well.
Thanks Nick for taking a peek at my blog. I cried too but you are right...my guns are blazzing and I'm on a mission.
This is such a funny blog! I get a big kick out of it and have added it to my regular reads. Sometimes I need a little escape and this is a great one.