Friday, December 22, 2006

I Want A Hippo for Christmas

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas/Only a hippopotamus will do.... In case you've been living under a rock, you can hear the song here -

I've heard this song on the radio pretty much every day for the last few weeks. Mainly on my way to work in the morning. Which also means has my cute little daughter has heard it as well. She also danced to it at dance class and now loves the song.
For the past few weeks she has asked my almost every day for a hippopotamus for Christmas. Each time she asks, I turn the question around and ask her where we would keep it. She always says on the roof and I tell her it would make our house fall down. Then she says in her bed and I say but you tell me I will break your bed and that hippo will be bigger than me! Then she says in the garage and I say he'll be bigger than our car. I always end the conversation by asking her where one would get a hippo and she tells me the ocean. My response is that it is too cold to go to the ocean this time of year.
Well yesterday our routine changed. Yesterday when I started with my normal questions she responds "I only want a toy hippo, Mama." I think "Oh crap!!" I really would have preferred to stay on the normal course of conversation. I explained to her that it is very close to Christmas and the elves are pretty much done making the toys. We've always told her that you don't get everything on your Christmas list so I thought this would end the conversation. Nope. She says "Oh, Momma, you can just go shopping and get one for me." Cripes, I knew taking that child shopping at 5 days old was a mistake. She's a shopping pro at 3 years old.
Being the crazy mother that I am, I went to Toys' R Us at lunch time yesterday. The reality is that I didn't have anything better to do. Anway, I walked in and found a cute plush hippo in under a minute. It is blue with a flower on her head. I'm going to tie a note from Santa around her neck saying he couldn't fit a real hippo in his sleigh. I hope this is the item that makes Christmas for her. I think I'll leave it in middle of the livinig room floor separate from her other gifts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cute! I'll bet she remembers that hippo for years to come! My kids love that song too, luckily, they've never asked for one!
Merry Christmas!
R

NickyT said...

OMG - this is hilarous! Kudos for you going to get the stuffed hippo! I just love Christmas! These are the stories I love to hear!!

Queen Mel said...

that is so funny and the fact mama went on the hunt for one, aren't we mama's silly creatures?

WE will do anything......

Ok get this, my word verification below is boozytloc

Mad&Soapy said...

That was Sophia's Christmas concert song last year...every night for a month we played it before bed or she wouldn't go to sleep. Thank God she never asked for a hippo of her own;) I say leave it in the living room - front and center - make a giant chip board arrow to point to it and set up a flash light spot light too!! LOL It will be a Hippo-wood Christmas!! :) My verification word is pztwlwoh...how come I never get the cool ones??!!!!! Ok - blogger says I got it wrong so now I have swpivo...better but still not as cool as tickeys!!