Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hi...Remember Me?

I haven't been a good blogger lately. For the first little while I just didn't have anything to say. Well, nothing I felt like writing about anyway. That passed but now I've just been crazy, straight out busy since last week. But I will redeem myself this week because I have LOTS to say now ;)

So, I had one of "those" moments yesterday. It certainly wasn't a life defining moment but it will certainly be a milestone moment for me. I was at the Regent Mall on my way to see the movie Hairspray with some friends. The movie is another blog topic to be covered tomorrow.

Anyway, I needed some cash so I headed up to the bank machine. Let me stop here to say that I thought I looked cute yesterday. I was having relatively good hair day (that's tough with my hair and this humidity) and I was wearing a cute white skirt, a brown shirt, my beads that get lots of compliments and, dammit, even my purse matched. On with the story, I approached the ATM machine and 2 guys were just finishing up with the machine. I would guess they were in their early 20's and I certainly wouldn't give them anymore than 25 yrs old. I wasn't sure if they were done so I said "Are you all done with the machine?" One guys looks up and said "Yes we are, Ma'am."

H...o...l...y...S...h...i..t - I was just "Ma'am"ed for the first time in my life. I have officially entered adulthood. Until last night I always referred to myself as a girl. I'm officially a woman. There is no denying it because a BOY just called me Ma'am. I smiled a sweet smile, said thank you and turned to the machine. I had a little giggle, adjusted my support hose, grabbed my cane, and returned to my friends at the food court. Of course, I immediately told my story and, of course, I received no sympathy at all.

In reality, I was really surprised that it happened but not at all offended. It is funny because normally people are rather surprised to find out that I'm 30 years old. Everyone always thinks I'm younger. To be honest, I don't really care about age anyway. I couldn't have cared less that I was turning 30 this year. Yeah, I wanted a party but I wasn't sad or upset about hitting that milestone...I was happy!

You're only as old as you feel. I have big plans for the future. I've recently rediscovered my love of dancing in public. I've always danced around the house but I've once again taken it to the streets. I know I can count on at least the Jenns and Amy to go out dancing with me when we're 60 years old. When I'm not out shaking my groove thing you'll find me at the mall. Just listen to the whispers of the crazy old bird in the food court wearing evening gloves, tons o' jewellery, and a hat fit for the Kentucky Derby. I can't wait, it's going to be fantabulous!

And when they call me Ma'am, I'll give a regal little wave my with my bejewelled, gloved hand.

7 comments:

proudmamma said...

Welcome to womanhood;) I also became a woman this year. It really shocked me! It came out of nowhere and bit me right on my 31 year old girly ass! Yikes!! It was a life altering moment for me. I started thinking...a "woman" with 2 kids should have a little more insight into life, wise words for her children..blah..blah..blah.
I have since decided that the 30's are the new 20's we are damn cute and always will be, it's in our genes;) Nan was always a cutie, looked like a million bucks and loved to accessorize. I may not be very philisophical with lots of wise words, but I'll do that when I'm 50. 'Till then...

Queen Mel said...

I'm the friend she told, can you all imagine my from the belly laugh? Yep it was damn good.

Congrats on joining the cougars - enjoy it!

Sunny said...

Well Ma'am....I'm sorry, it just doesn't sound right! I'm 32 and I don't feel like I'm 32. I still like cute clothes, going out dancing and gazing at the hotties that are out and about. The only problem is when I find out I am sometimes 13 years older than the hotties I'm staring at. That scares me!
Oh and just so you know Princess...there was an accident on the bridge today and the HOTTEST looking copper was patrolling...not Cutie McHottie however he must have been his brother. WOW!

gypsybug said...

by the way, you look super cute and hot in your white skirt and brown shirt that I wouldn't shut up about when I saw you that day!!!

My whole life I have had people look at me and say wow she is young to have 5 year old...I was only 24 when Emily was 5 and one day I even lied about it when this ugly snotty retail bitch made some dumbass comment on how I was too young to be a mom.

I take Ma'am with a good grace smile now. I like my age and I am proud of it...but I find the clothes challenging.

I dress boring but I have this internal teenager that wants to wear all this fun stuff...but my mother-of-two lumps and bumps prevent my confidence.

As I am fast approaching 30, I say BRING IT ON BABY, BRING IT ON!

NickyT said...

YOu should of looked at them and said Thanks Dudes! Just too see the look on their faces lol.

NickyT said...

YOu should of looked at them and said Thanks Dudes! Just too see the look on their faces lol.

Hollee said...

First let me say that you totally looked hot that night...I even went out and bought a brown skirt because I was so inspired! And I only got brown because they didn't have white!! lol Second - I would like to state that I was totally shocked when I read that you were Ma'med...not because it emplies that you're old, but damnit - that was a very clear display of real live honest to goodness old school manners where anyone and everyone who is older than you is sir or Ma'me...I say screw adulthood and Viva las Vegas to manners!! You just don't see them anymore and certainly not in "young men" (*giggle*)