Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Suggestions Please

I've mentioned my hair woes in the past. I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. Some days I love it but most days I struggle just to keep it from looking like a used up SOS pad. I could never bring myself to cut it off. Neeevvvaaaahh! But I also hate spending time on it.

For the past few years, I've been getting my hair done at Avalon Spa. I started going there when I was pregant with Littlest Princess and I was getting highlights to cover my grey hair because colouring your hair is a no-no while preggers. Once she was born I started colouring the grey and getting a few foils too. I eventually stopped with the foils because my hair was getting too light. Fast forward to the present time - I get a colour and a cut but I have so much freaking hair that it costs me $100 every 6-8 weeks for my hair. I can't go longer than that because I have a lot of grey. Before you say "I can't see any!" Let me remind you - that is the point of having it coloured. At this point, I would say I'm at least 30% grey. Eeewwww!

I've been wanting to try something different with my hair but I haven't because of the cost. Regardless of what I do differently, I still have to cut it and colour it. So anything else is in addition to the $100 I already pay. Mr. Princess would drop to the floor and have a seizure right in front of me. I swear it's true...drooling and the whole nine yards.

I have an appt at Avalon next week and I've decided it will be my last. I've kept going because of the service but even that has gone down hill. I do not like waiting 30 minutes past my appt time when I'm paying that much money, dammit. Not to mention that you are looking at 4-6 weeks to get an evening appt with the girl who does my hair.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a new, less expensive stylist? I would like to a trim, a colour and I want a few red (like brick red) streaks in my hair. It may look great or it may look like a halloween stunt gone bad. We'll just have to wait and see. Send me your stylist recommendations. GO!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Princess, as you can see I do so much with my hair...lol. I go to Simply Devine, its located in Peppercreek Plaza. She use to work at Magic Cuts and then she opened up her own place. I usually get a cut for about $17.00. The last time I got highlights and a cut it cost me around $40.00. Thats my suggestion. Oh yeah, her name is Tammy.

lesly said...

I just tried a new place called klub soda - They had an ad on Radio Price Club for $69 for foils and a cut - taxes in! I knew that I wanted something different and I really love what she did. Her name is Ruth Thompson. Good luck!

Queen Mel said...

When I worked downtown I frequented Inner Beauty beside vogue optical, I really liked their work, young & hip. I do agree Avalon service is going down hill on the northside for sure. Why not go for a consultation first, see what they say.

FYI - I like your hair and it never looks like a used SOS pad, never!

gypsybug said...

I am an Inner Beauty chick myself as well. I see Jen there..love Jen. I have been going to her for so many years. Probably about 4 years and before that she was at the Fredericton Mall and I first started using her then...I have know her a long time. she is on my facebook..she is super gorgeous and fun & hip...don't think you will save much though by going there.

Have you ever thought about just getting your colour done at the schools?? I have done that before and I haven't had a bad experience yet. I wouldn't let students cut my hair but colour I am fine with...

PST...what about box colour and only get a few highlights done? If you only get 1/2 head of highlights it isn't as bad.

gypsybug said...

btw...I personally didn't like Klub Soda because of the atmosphere..but try them if you can get a deal....I have bought radio price club deals before

Anonymous said...

Avoid schools at all costs !!

Lori

Krista said...

I'm a lurker... however thought I'd add my 2cents.. My hair stylist is outside of the city - therefore not so expensive. The salon name is Shear Delight. It's in the Jemseg area (about 40 mins from town). She is actually my friend's mom.. she's very good. Seems things get cheaper the further out the city limits you go!
I am actually going to try Simply Divine next week - they were around to my office building yesterday offering packages at 90% off!!

big momma said...

because I have such lovely hair... I can give lots of advice. I have tried it all but the truth must be known _ I am about 30% grey as well and I have to color every 5 weeks to keep it from overpowering my head. I have tried darker with foils thinking the grey would "blend" - no. I have even considered letting it grow out and never coloring again - no. I have even asked stylists if I can get Grey pulled trhu so I can let it grow out. Finally what wroks for me cost $8.97. It's called L'oreal. For you I would recommend an ammonia free color that only colors your greys but adds shine to your natural color. Did I mention I am a profession - no?

Hollee said...

The school is a great idea! I've gone there myself and it's always fine. They're supervised too so nothing terrible is likely to happen. I wouldn't let them go crazy on a cut - but I'll let them color and wax...just about anything ;) lol (he he - my secret squirrel code is pehqur)

NickyT said...

I went to Simply Divine to get my brows done last week. She did a great job for only 10.00 taxes in!
Mom, has gone a couple times for her hair to Simply Divine.
We too are looking for a hair stylist for keeps as ours moved to Ottawa.

Sunny said...

Loretta's on St-Mary's street by the Co-op Farm place. Ask for Natasha. She is amazing...mind you I haven't gotten my hair done in forever but I went to her the last time I got my hair done and will only go there now...not to mention they have a great esthatician as well.