Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sugar Bugs

Yesterday JJ went for her 3.5 year assessment at Public Health. She went through it with flying colors and was even bored at points.

The nurse asked me if I had any concerns about JJ. I brought up her speech. JJ does really well for the most part. She has no problems with R, L sounds or any of the other sounds that are typically challenging for a child. However, JJ does lisp when she says an S sound and it is rather awkward when she says a word like MINT that has an "NT" combination. I've studied her speech (c'mon you knew I would) by watching her when she speaks. She can't seem to relax her tongue. It pushes up against the top of her 2 front teeth. Try saying an S sound or MINT like that and you'll see what I mean. Okay, I'll wait while you do it......

So anyway, the nurse gets her to say a few S words and then mint and the little bugger proves me a liar. I wasn't actually that surprised. I've noticed that over the last few weeks her speech has improved vastly. At one point over the weekend, I was talking to her on the phone and I'm not sure I would have recognized her voice if I hadn't called her.

As part of the assessment, the nurse showed JJ pics of healthy goods and a happy smiling tooth. On the other side of the page was a sad tooth covered in "sugar bugs" and pics of junk food. JJ was quite enraptured by the sad tooth with the sugar bugs. She kept asking the nurse to see it again.

Last evening when we got home, she started asking about the sugar bugs. She asked me to check her teeth repeatedly to see if there were any sugar bugs. When I said no, she wanted to know if they were in the house. The child is now OBSESSED with sugar bugs. Before she will eat anything, she asks me if it has sugar in it and will is give her sugar bugs. She will NOT eat anything with sugar for fear of sugar bugs. It sounds good on the surface but my child has a wee bit, just tiny, very small, almost don't know it's there dramatic flair. Sugar bugs could become an issue. I will say no more to avoid jinxing myself.

6 comments:

gypsybug said...

In my house growing up we have always scared children into brushing their teeth with the fear of sugar bugs...still works on Emily and she is 9. But goodness we don't want JJ to be scared about them!!

Sunny said...

When I was a kid the electrolux lady came to try and sell my parents a vaccum. They showed us a picture of a dust mite. It was scary...mind you it was blown up so the mite seemed so big. I was scared crapless of mites and still am when I think about them crawling on me and eating my skin at night in my bed.
I'd love to have a phobia of sugar bugs.

Kimmartha said...

Hmmmm, a little dramatic flair. Takes after her Dad, eh?!!

Madiegirl said...

I hate to tell you Princess but Madie's five and she still talks about those sugar bugs !!!
And the small dramatic flair, she comes by that honestly ;-)

Queen Mel said...

that is funny....that whole problem with her eating foods is going to get worse from this because even good food (healthy) has sugar in it.....but we played on that for the teeth brushing too.....it works......but I don't envy you - knowing JJ this will become an compulsion....

The Original Princess said...

She has always loved brushing her teeth so I don't need to use the surgar bugs. She's concerned about sugar in her food.
Mel - did you notice this morning she mentioned her food was healthy?