Thursday, April 05, 2007

Music

My cousin left a comment the other day suggesting I check out www.theevolutionofdance.com on if I had the Monday blues. Well, I cheated and watched it on a Tuesday. It was hilarious!! The guy dancing hit the moves spot on for every song. I highly recommend it for your viewing pleasure.

While I was watching the clip, I could remember the times in my life that went along with every song. It's incredible the way just a few notes from a song can evoke some many feeling, emotions, memories and reactions.

I was standing at the scrapbook store the other day and an Aerosmith song came on. I said to Nic "Doesn't this song just make you want to toss your hair around?" That's really what that song did to me. Some songs make me want to get up and dance as hard as a can, some make me want to wrap myself around a pole, others make me want to sing as loud as I can, while still others make me sing softly.

The song America Pie, the Madonna covered version, takes me straight back to maternity leave. I only had to sing a few bars of the song to calm JJ as a baby. It worked almost every time. I sang that song so often that I thought it was imprinted in my brain forever and that I would never, ever forget the words. A few years later and I can only remember a few words.
On the flip side, I can remember other songs word for word that don't really have any significance for me.

Some songs bring particular people to mind. Richard Marx "Right Here Waiting" reminds me of Shelley...we listened to this over and over. Extreme "More than Words reminds me of Janet...not be allowed to play the song because it reminded her of someone. Outkast "Hey Ya"...as a 6 mth old JJ loved this song...as a 9/10 mth old she shook maracas and bopped to this song. The list goes on and on....I probably have a song that reminds me of just about everyone.

Hmmm....does anyone else car dance? Just wondering...

7 comments:

Queen Mel said...

when I am by myself - hell yeah I car dance and the music is so loud my heart feels like it might come out through my chest....oh and I'm singing as loud as I can.....that is the ONLY time I'll be caught singing....trust me, if anyone where around they would die from the awful noise.

Anonymous said...

I also checked out www.theevolutionofdance.com and laughed my head off. I was shaking my head and agreeing to all the dance moves. It's amazing what songs can do to a person. As far as the car dancing goes, I get my groove on a bit, now Sheldon in the big truck is hilarious, he will stand up while driving, hanging on to the steering wheel and shake his butt. It would bring you to tears with laughter...lol

gypsybug said...

car time is usually silly time 4 Em and I. We often act like idoits in the car to our fav song. Even though it is way overplayed, we both sing "Your Beautiful", by James Blunt.

I have been caught more times singing in my car!!!!

proudmamma said...

Of Course I sing and dance in the car! Doesn't everybody. I've caught people doing worse things behind the wheel...picking their nose, putting on make up...I'm not sure who Sheldon is, but I'd love to see him dance in his truck...that too funny!

NickyT said...

Do I car dance? Good Lord - the radio is just back up singers for me baby! I sing and get a groove on.

I have all kinds of song flashbacks. Extreme reminds me of high school. Sitting in my basement a bunch of us and one guy really only new that song on his guitar and we would sit around the stove singing our hearts out. Aerosmith, Angel puts me in the cafeteria at Nasis' at dances. Vanilla Ice unfortunatly puts me at high school dances.

awareness said...

Interestingly, I just wrote a piece about songs too.

Car dance? You bet! I let er rip! I have a few CD's, compilations my husband (a funky dancer and music affecionado too) pulled together for me and i listen to them when I'm on the road for work. there are a few songs that I just crank up the volume and escape into it!

Springsteen is a personal fav. of late.

American Pie? Whenever i hear the original version, I am completely transported back to the winter of Grade 7 (yes I'm that old!!!) and skiing. It was always on the radio as we headed to the ski hills.

My other favourite time car dancing is when I'm driving Martha and her friends somewhere.......just to embarrass her like a good momma should heeheehee.

Sunny said...

The car is my stage and the children my unwilling audience!!!! I suck at singing but I loooooove to do it anyway. I always sing in the car.

U2 songs remind me of high school, More than Words (who doesn't have memories of that one), To be with you by Mr. Big...Bryan Adams too, all remind me of hanging around in my friend Jay's loft with the boys in the dark listening to tunes, or hanging out in Ryan's car, tons of us crammed in not going anywhere but Jay's driveway.

Ooooohhhh the sweet memories!