Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Kudos to Spain

I'm still home sick and after 3 days of meds I feel worse. I'm pretty discouraged. I called my doctor today and they said I need to be seen by someone ASAP but they couldn't take me. So I have to go sit at a clinic tonight. Woo hoo.
Anyway, I'm sitting here wallowing in my own self-pity when I find this little jewel on CNN.com
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/13/spain.models/index.html This article is about a fashion show in Madrid Spain. The orgaiizers have declared on ban on under-weight models! The models are being check over (using body mass index) by EMTs when they arrive and are not allowed to walk the catwalk if they are underweight. WOW! I think this is fantastic. Let's face it, most models are ridiculously thin and portray and unhealthy and unattainable image. Eating disorder rates in North America are through the roof and it's nice to see at least someone in the fashion industry take notice and, more importanty, act responsibly. The article goes on to say that organizers in Milan, Italy are consider imposing similar regulations at their fashion week. Hooray for Spain and Italy. Of course, modeling agencies are up in arms over this but who cares?!?!

2 comments:

NickyT said...

Holy Gosh, you are still SICK!

Kudos, to the Spain Fashion Show. Fashion Shows to me are such a waste any I have seen - I have NEVER seen anybody dressed like that! WTH - is up with them?

Queen Mel said...

Well its about Freakin' time someone actually said and did something, actions are better than just words, who the hell wants to see a skelton walk the catwalk other than an anthropologist (sp?).

Makes perfect sense to be X-Tiny, that seems to be the only size they any of the clothes in. Or they do that because they can make lots for a little price in the child labour factories of China.