Tuesday, December 04, 2007

First Snow

Sometimes I go for days and even weeks when I don't have anything to write about. Then all of a sudden I have too many things to say in one post. Okay, way off topic but I just had a total loss of grammatical knowledge and I'm still sitting here wondering if I should have used THEN or THAN. Let me assure you that type of thing bugs me. Moving right along and getting back to all the things I have to say. I don't want to cram it all into one post so here is the list and I'm going to try to write about it this week - avoidance, pain, busy. Wow, that looks like a depressing list but really they aren't. They are all funny things. Really.

Today was the first snow of the season. I may offend some people with this but what else is new. I like to live on the edge by speaking my mind. Holy crap the first snow of the season is annoying to me. I can't even tell you how many times I rolled my eyes today and said "We live in Canada people! It snows EVERY year!"

The forecast has been calling for snow for the past few days. We knew last night that we would get alot of snow overnight. We were ready to leave the house this morning at the same time that we leave every morning. Even. with. all .that. snow. You know why? Gee, I'm not sure if I should give out this ground breaking secret. I'll tell you but I might have to kill you. Here goes nothing...we set our alarm early. Wow, it feels good to say it.

I have to get off my high horse for a second but don't worry, I'm getting back up. We didn't leave our house until 9:15 but only because our daycare didn't open until 10 am. We thought about taking JJ to work with us but vetoed that idea. It turns out I should have taken her because there were few people there anyway. Our building was virtually empty. Why is it that people think they don't have to go to work on a snow day? I understand that some people have quite a drive and that can be intimidating. But if you live at the start of the Woodstock Rd you should be able to get to Queen St. Good lord.

On to this evening. I was in a parking lot earlier this evening talking to a friend for a few minutes and we were lucky enough to watch 3 separate cars tear into the parking lot trying to do spins. The snow brings out all the crazies There were two red cars in a row and they were pretty funny. But then a silver car came along. The car was going relatively fast for a parking lot and then I noticed there was a guy hanging out of the passenger side window with a camera in his hand. I got a good chuckle out of that. A few minutes later, the same car comes along and the passenger was standing out the sunroof this time. Ahhhhh...it reminds me of when my dad and I used to do that in his jeep while my mom and sister were at Brownies. Well, except standing out the sunroof.

At least we have the first snow out of the way. It's pretty blah, blah, blah. I will give you that but I refuse to like winter or the drivers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Princess I have to thank you. You have just written the same thing I feel every year at this time. Seriously, we're Canadian, so why does the first snow always send some people into a tailspin!!! (some literally...)
Thank you for voicing my own exact opinion so succinctly.
PS... you we're right to use "then" instead of "than"...

Queen Mel said...

I hear ya....no I didn't go to work yesterday but my job allows me the ability to work from home so I was still working.....

Do you know how many times I've arrived at work only to learn that the "townies" can't make it in? Do you know how many of those people have asked me what my "secret" is? Um yeah....get up earlier......I hadn't realized it was a secret....

Can you give me some apps for Camp Stupid, I have some I want to wrap up and gift as gifts.

Anonymous said...

Some just have the flexibility, vacation time or what have you, and wanted to take advantage of the first snow day to stay home with the family. Kids weren't in school, it was the perfect day!

I wasn't using the storm as an excuse to not go into work, I just had other options. :)

The Original Princess said...

LOL...it more the poor driving and being hours late for work because it snowed that irks me than the staying home. I know some people have very good reasons.

Queen Mel said...

anonymous...do we know you? Reveal yourself?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #1 is me. I'm Julie, Nick's cousin (Hi Nick!!), and come spring I will have been initiated into the wonderful world of pole parties. YAY!
I made the first anonymous comment but not the second one.