Monday, December 24, 2007

Something is Missing

It's 9 pm on Christmas Eve - the littlest princess is asleep wearing her jammies left for her by Santa's elves. She was up at 6 am today so she went to sleep easily at 7:15 pm. I'm just finishing wrapping a few items, I've already filled the stockings, tracked down a missing bag and I'm working on my second rum and coke. But something is missing. A few things actually.

I miss the people I love. Everyone is here in the city but I'm not with most of them. Yes, I have my little family here but I'm used to a big family get together on Christmas Eve. We can't really do that anymore because we all have children and they need to go to bed. It's been a few years since we've had our Christmas Eve party. It was always at my parent's house with my cousins and aunts and uncles. My dad always served his meat pie and a million other things too. But we were all there for the meat pie and a few drinks. In the last few years we did an afternoon thing on the weekend before Christmas but now that has even fallen to the wayside.

Janet, Tracy, Jenn - If you're reading this, I really miss you guys tonight.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

I know what you mean, normally we would have a big gathering at my Dad's house on Christmas Eve and when I was a kid we'd go to each of my grandmothers' houses to visit and then listen to NORAD track Santa Claus and the family would all come to my house. Don't worry P, eventually all the littlest ones will get a bit older and you can restart the Christmas Eve thing all over again. That's what found. Once Matt and Heather got a bit older they were able to handle staying up a bit later and we started visiting on Christmas Eve again. JJ is already 4 so it won't be long before you're loading her up in the car and going to eat meat pies and drink your night away on Christmas Eve again. One word of advice is not to try and assemble stuff on Christmas Eve after having a few.....my Dad and my Uncle put toghether my yellow Barbie camper one Christmas Eve loaded and all the stickers ended up upside down. Try explaining that to two little girls on Christmas morning!

Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jen. In a couple more Years when JJ is older and bedtime isn't so early start the festivities back up. Or maybe even suggest Boxing Day to get the gang all back togehter next year.

I hope Santa came and found JJ & You!! I hear he likes Eggnog and Rum :)

LadyLipgloss said...

I felt the exact same way this year. :(

Anonymous said...

My kids are still quite young but...next year I say drinks and meatpies at my house!! I'll keep Cole up a little later to play with JJ. Jen's just down the road and your parents made it over for a drink this year. It was a rough christmas this year, but I already can't wait 'till the next!!
Jan

Madiegirl said...

I love Christmas traditions and you don't realize how important they are until you don't do them anymore. I think the girls are right, each year that goes by, the kiddlets will be a little older and will be able to stay up a little later. Or you can be like me and force them too :-P

Hollee said...

This is going to sound weird, but the only thing I miss from my ex-husband is his family. We always got together at Christmas and it was great cuz there were a zillion of them. Now I don't have that and I kinda miss it sometimes cuz my family is so small.

I did hear Mom and Dad talking about some relatives of ours who live in Alberta...they wanted to get together, but the kids are all little, so they hauled a HUGE RV to someones house and set all the kids up on Christmas eve and hired a sitter to look after them while the rest of the family had a little Christmas cheer. Sounded like fun :) On the same note - jen is right...it won't be long before you can enjoy the family time again...and then JJ will love the same memories that you do:)

Cheers my friend...it's almost New YEars :)