Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Smell of Summer

I was walking on the walking trail by my house Saturday night when all of a sudden I got of whiff of something that stirred up some memories. I looked down and the trail was lined with small wild strawberries. The smell was so familiar and it took me right back to the summers of my childhood.

I remember spending hours picking small wild strawberries on the small hill behind my grandparents house in Stanley. I used to go out there alone or sometimes with my sister and other times with my cousin, Janet. The smell of the strawberries was so distinct and sweet. I can see my sister and I out there on the hill. I can remember picking with my cousin and she would repeatedly tell me to be careful not to step on the strawberries. She was always more careful than me. I'm like a bull in a china shop...not very graceful or careful.

Another memory that came to mind was picking strawberries and blueberries with Jan in Shediac. We would go over to the field behind the drive in and pick berries. Again, I remember being told to be careful of the plants. It's funny because after I noticed the berries on the trail by our house, I brought JJ outside to let her pick strawberries. She thought it was super! But what did I find myself saying to her? "JJ be careful not to step on the plants so we can pick some more tomorrow." Then I promptly knelt down on a bunch of strawberries and stained my pants. Some things never change.

7 comments:

Sunny said...

I was walking down the walking trail to Paul's work and smelled the same thing! Little wild strawberries everywhere. Of course I stopped and ate a few.

It brought back memories of my brother, sister, and friends Jenny and Ian picking cups full of those litte strawberries so my mom could make us strawberry shortcake. We had to pick one hell of a lot of strawberries!!!

Dee said...

I used to pick them for my grandmother - she made homemade jam with them - just imagine how many we had to pick! It was the best!

NickyT said...

I love wild berries! THey are the sweetest berry...our yard is full too...I won't let rob mow a part of our lawn till they are all gone.

my nanny used to make jam too....i know can you imagine picking that many lil' berries!?!?!?!

proudmamma said...

Oh SJ, I too have fond berry picking memories...I don't remember being so anal about the plants though. It does however sound like something I'd say...lol. It's hard to believe there really isn't a place in Stanley to bring our kids to pick the berries as we did. As for Shediac, it turned out to be not such a good place to be picking berries (behind the drive in), didn't we find dirty pics back there?

proudmamma said...

Hey you got me thinkin'....I'm going strawberry pickin' tomorrow. Thanks

The Original Princess said...

LOL..not anal...just more careful than me. I forgot about the dirty pics...good times ;)

b.c. Gurl said...

mmmm I used to pick berries with my grandmother and she too made homemade jam -- nothing better than wild strawberry jam!!