Wednesday, May 24, 2006

First Hair Cut

Jillian had her first hair cut today. She'll be 3 years old in September but has curly hair so we have not cut it up until this point. Her hair is blonde and quite long. It comes half way down her back when you pull the ringlets out to their full length. We usually give her a bath at night so it's quite frizzy and "fly away" in the morning after she sleeps on it. I wanted to see the ringlets in all their glory today so I let her jump in the shower with me this morning. We washed her hair, conditioned it, brushed it and then let it air dry. Her curls were cute, bouncy, shiny, and soft.
So here comes to good news and the bad news. Good news - we now have one of those pretty ringlets to scrapbook for our memories. Bad news - she cut it herself.
Claudia, Jillian's daycare teacher, called me around 10:30 am. She started out by telling me about the class trip to a farm yesterday day - they had an amazing time. Jillian absolutely enjoyed herself. We chitchated for awhile and then Claudia asked me if Jillian has every had a hair cut. My stomach drops. I reply "No, not yet." Stomach is now in my throat. Claudia says "That is still her baby hair?" Now wanting to vomit. I say "Oh my god, she cut her hair didn't she?" Claudia confirms my fears. Jillian cut her hair with a pair of safety scissors.
Melanie - I told you safety scissors cut hair!
Claudia is such a sweetie. She knows I scrapbook so she collected the hair off the floor for me and put it in a baggie. I don't know what the damage is yet. When I was talking to Claudia she said Jillian was wearing a hat and they couldn't see any chunks missing in the hair that was showing. Oh well, such is the life of having a toddler.
You know, this is my payback for yesterday's blog where I said how beautiful Jillian is and then commented that some kids had been beaten with an ugly stick. Cripes, the beauty gods are lauging at me now (picutre me shaking my fist at the sky).
Tonight I'll sit the little monkey down and take a picture of the damage. I mean what can I say to her? She's almost 3 and loves to cut things...it was bound it happen. And in all honesty she'll probably try it again. But let me say this, it won't be easy. From here on out that kid is going to have the same hair-do as Princess Leia from Star Wars. Ha ha, Kiddo! Just try to get the scissors into those buns!

3 comments:

Queen Mel said...

Isn't parenting FUN?

I have come to a realization that mothers are crazy NUTS, I mean it, we are CRAZY fools. Listen, you'll understand once I explain it - our lovely, goddess like children - they run, scream, act like monkeys, do things we specifically told them not to do, won't listen to anything we tell them to do, disobey, we punish (should I go on?).

Then by some great miracle they bless us with one stunning grin, do something like make mama a card with a big blue heart on it or better yet hug and kiss me and say "your my favouritess mama" and its all gone - the frustration, anger, upset, the need to bang my head on the wall, that one little thing she can do to make all the anger dissolve from my face.

See what I mean - We are CRAZY, Neurotic, PMS'ing FOOLs.

Go figure! How come I didn't listen when "seasoned" mothers warned me this would happen? One "seasoned" mom told me (when I was pregnant) that I would have more heartache than I will ever know for the rest of my life - nothing will compare. Loveley eh?

Kimmartha said...

Here's the thing - my little angel waited until she was at school in grade one - yes, GRADE ONE. She was almost 7 years old and she decided to cut her bangs off. 3 days before Easter. I woulda thought we were past that stage by then!!!

K

NickyT said...

Love the story!
Love how the Daycare worker even gathered up the hair!
Just lucky she didn't want to be a hairdresser and cut the other kids hair too!!!