Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Biking

Today is day one of "Operation Lose the Spare Tire". I find this to be a fitting name since the main component to losing the spare tire is biking. I got up this morning at 5:52 am all gung-ho to get the party started. I got myself dressed, peed, put in my contacts, put on my shoes and helmet and hit the open walking trail. I didn't bother to brush my teeth because who the hell is out on the trail at this ungodly hour. Even if I see any other insanos, er I mean health nuts, I don't want to talk to them anyway!

My house is off of Sunset Dr and backs on the to walking trails. So I head out the back gate and start pedalling towards Douglas. I'm going on my merry way and the first realization I have is that it is waaay colder at 5:58 am than it was last night when I went to bed. Note to self - wear gloves next time. Things were going pretty smoothly I must say. I had to be home by 6:30 to shower so I biked 15 mins before I turned around to head home. I made it all the way past the Douglas Irving to McGregor St. I'm thinking this is alright and I'm a fitness bad-ass.

So I turned around to go home and that's when I realize my right hand it tingling and numb. It felt much the same as when I had carpal tunnel syndrom when I was preggers. It's all good...Team Grace keeps up the pace and continues on. Then I realize "Hey, my legs feel like they have very heavy weights attached to them. Not good news since I'm now maybe 90 seconds towards home. Gonna be a long 13 minutes and 30 seconds to get home. I finally get back to Sunset Dr and, cripes, there is my paper man crossing the street. For the love of Pete, I MUST NOT BE SEEN BY HIM!!! He totally freaks me out. I bike the crazy to get back on the path and into the safety of the tree coverage. Phewf! I made it. I'm not in the home stretch about 10 houses away from my house. I'm feeling a bit vomitous but overall I'm proud of myself and, surprsingly, looking forward to doing this again.

Now here I sit at work at 12:55 pm and holy crap my arse hurts!!! To really understand the pain, I need you to stand up. Now bend over like you are a downhill skiing racer...really jut your tushy out there. Okay, now reach back and feel the really flesh part of your bum. Under that flesh, on either cheek, are freakin' sharp bones. That is where by buttocks hurt from the friggin' seat. Oye...

There you have it, Operation Lose the Spare Tire - Day One.

1 comment:

NickyT said...

You Go Girl!!!

Holy Crap up at 5:52 AM that is hilarous!

Do you have a back up plan now that god has decided to send a sea of rain down?