Sunday, March 09, 2008

Misery

Misery describes what I feel right now. I'm so sick. My throat started to hurt a bit last night before I went to bed. But I wasn't concerned because I've been spending alot of time downstairs and it gets dry down here with the pellet stove. The dryness often makes my throat tickle.

My throat still hurt this morning when I got up and it was a familiar pain. I went straight to the mirror to take a look and my fears were confirmed. A year ago this past September, I was really sick with a nasty sore throat. I went to the ER in Oromocto and got some meds for strep throat. Three days later the meds still had done nothing to help. So I went to the after hours clinic to get checked out. It turns out it wasn't strep at all. I have a virus (I think it's a virus) that lives in my body. It stays dormant for awhile and then comes to life whenever it feels like it.

This awesome (note the sarcasm) little friend of mine gives me sores, similar to canker sores, all up and down my throat. It's similar to cold sores - it's not contagious just some people get them and others don't. If you get cold sores, it's a virus (again I'm not sure if that's the proper term) that lies dormant in your system and comes out once in a while. My little friend tends to appear when I'm run down and stressed.

The pain from this is unreal. I've had strep throat and tonsillitis at the same time and I'd take that combo over this virus any day. If you get canker sores, and I do, you know how painful one can be. Now imagine your entire throat covered in them. Get the disgusting and very painful idea?

I'm in pain, I'm hungry but I can't/don't want to eat, I'm freezing cold, my entire body hurts, and I'm tired but can't sleep because it hurts. The last time I had this I was home from work for a full week. All I want is a hug. Damn.

8 comments:

Sunny said...

I get canker sores on the inside of my lip almost on my gums. They hurt like the dickens so I can't even imagine how you must feel. I hope that they go away asap for you. Lots of alcohol is the true cure....lots of alcohol.

coolestgrammie said...

Here's a hug from me! And if you need anything we're almost next door. Just let us know!

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Feel better. xo

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I'll give ya a hug Princess...you did say you weren't contagious, right?

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's a virus. Caused by a form herpes. It will always be with you. It's just like a cold sore - when you're under a lot of stress or you are sick, it will appear. It's a truly horrifying pain ... much worse than strep. It's like hundreds of tiny scalpels slicing your throat everytime you swallow, drink, or eat. Hope it doesn't last as long this time.

Queen Mel said...

Didn't this last like 2 weeks or so the last time? You missed a lot of work over it?

I don't give hugs...sorry.

Get better soon.

gypsybug said...

you should get my hugs on Saturday when I am back in town.

Tina said...

Ohhhh, I can totally sympathize! I had the same thing a few weeks ago and it was awful. What's worse is that they can't give you anything for it, you just have to suffer it out! I lived on Advil every 4hours for a week. No fun at all.
Sending you some get well vibes and hope you come around soon!