Tuesday, September 04, 2007

One Year Ago

I've had an emotional day today. A bit of sadness, that I don't want to talk about, and alot good things that came along with it too. It got me thinking about how things change. Sometimes it's a slow process and sometimes it happens quickly. Wow, I'm tearing up as I'm writing. This won't be the most eloquent post but it might be the most heartfelt.

This time last year, Nic, Jay, Tori, Robin and I were just getting back from the BEP concert. We had such an awesome time. Nobody was annoyed with the others we just went with the flow. Hee hee hee...remember the beer garden, Robin? I don't like beer but I drank warm beer that day.

We've all had so many ups and downs in the past year. Marriage troubles, health scares, problems with our kids, parents and grandparents being ill..just to name a few. But the is a silver lining to all that crap...it's the way that we all rally around each other. I can't even count the number of phone calls and emails I've had from you asking if everything is okay. I know I've certainly sent my share too. FYI - Jay you can never call me at 6:50 am on a work day again. You scared the crap out of me.

Thinking to back to last year at this time, I can't help but think of the new people who have joined our close-knit group (Hi Jenns & Lesley!) And those who were away from us for awhile but came back (Hi Ames!). What I love about all of you is that you're always so accepting of new girls who join us.

Here is a stretch for you all. Can you all think back to your first day of school? Mine was 24 years ago, today. Other than starting school, do you know what else is big about that day? That is the day that I met Shelley Morell. Who knew that we still be the best of friends and talk virtually every day 24 years later? I feel very lucky to still have you all this time later.

I'm so glad I have you girls. I know that we will all continue to have ups and downs but I know that I can always count on you to be there. So there you have it. Pretty sappy but, like I said, I've been pretty emotional today.

Oh and one more, not so sappy thing. Nice rules for the Secret Santa. Nothing like having a set of rules made just for MOI!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh your gonna make me cry Princess. Thank you, I feel very fortunate and blessed to have found a great group of friends.

Queen Mel said...

Here is my only regret.....that I didn't have all of you when I was in JR. High and High School, do you know how much better my life would have been with all you in it?

My first day of school I rememeber waiting for the bus across the road with all the big kids and me, my brother was there but he didn't care if I lived or died. I can't remember what I wore or really how scared I was but I remember one girl pee'ing in her chair b/c she was too scared to ask the teacher - fyi she was born without a neck too.....

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the call. I promise the next time I call at 6:50 in the morning, it will be an emergency.

Not going to touch the friend thing ... not going there. Just ditto.

As to the rules ... of course we have a whole set of rules just for you, Your Highness!

Sunny said...

I think I've finally found the best group of girls EVER!!!! You guys are great and I'm so fortunate to have been welcomed into such a great circle of friends. Ditto on all the same stuff J ditto'd on.
I don't remember my first day of school so much except that we were in those white, very cold mobile classrooms and that my teacher was really mean and made me sit in a garbage can in the corner of the class.
I do remember the first day of NJHS. We all had to stand outside and I was trying to find a friendly face in the crowd. I also went to the Haywire concert that night because I had won tickets that summer. My mom and I went together....I didn't really have alot of friends plus my parents wouldn't let me go without them anyway.
I've never really thought I fit in anywhere. All through school I would be an outsider of various groups but never felt I belonged anywhere.
One other great thing about September is that I started my job at the Career Information Centre. That is the job that brought me all of you guys!! I was finally able to work day shifts and no weekends, found Sarah and hence all of you.
Another reason to thank the Princess...isn't her crown already too small for the large, and still growing head?
Thank you Princess!

gypsybug said...

OK this was not a post for me to read this morning. I had a very bad blow up fight over not replacing the garbage bag after taking the garbage out myself and the bag wasn't replace quick enough for when the FDH wanted to use it!! who's mature??

I am at my desk swelling at the eyes right now.

You guys are very accepting great fun important to me ladies! I can't wait for saturday night.

lesly said...

I don't really remember my first day of school - I think that is my brains response to most of the horrible experiences in my life. Ask me about my wedding day sometime - I still haven't been able to burn that day from my memory but I am working on it : ) I was always painfully shy and meeting new people has always been a struggle. I have had a handful very close friends over the years but I have never met a group of girls like this that are just there for each other in good times and it bad! It has been absoulutely amazing to meet all you this past year. I joined the stamping group in hopes of connecting with a few ladies and making some new friends - how was I to know what a crazy bunch of gals that I was introducing myself too. You guys are all completely amazing and I feel very honored to have met each and every one of you. What an emotional day for me too- I sent my little boy to kindergarden this morning now this - I am a total wreck!

Kimmartha said...

My first day of school, I couldn't wait to go. But what a let down - we didn't learn to write the first day, so I didn't want to go back!!

Like you Jen M, I had "groups" of friends but I always felt like I was on the outside looking in - there always seemed to be a joke I had missed out on, or a get together that someone "forgot" to mention, plus back in the day, I was too shy & insecure to put myself out there and speak up. That's probably one of the best things about this group - we can say how we feel, we can share what is going on in our lives and we are still accepted as we are & for who we are.

I'm sooooo excited about Saturday night that when hubby said he was taking the kids to his Nan's birthday party (long story, blog later) I didn't even feel guilty saying have fun, I'll see you Sunday!!

Madiegirl said...

Oh Sarah......
(I should check blogs more often....)

Now I'm crying, I'm calling you and you're not answering.

Here's to 24+ more and hopes that our daughters will share the same friendship