Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Shitty Day

Yup, today was a crap day for me. It was supposed to be a great day but, whatever, things don't always turn out the way out want or intend, right?

I was downstairs around 8:40 this morning and when I returned to my desk, I saw that my Dad had called but didn't leave a message. A few minutes later, now about 8:52, my phone rings. It's my dad and in a very weak voice, he says "Sarah.....I don't feel good". I could tell by the sound in his voice that he was really ill. I already had my coat on and grabbed my purse and ran as fast as I could, in high heel boots, down to his office (we work in the same building). When I got to his office, I took one look at him and yelled "Someone needs to call 911 right now!"

He was laying back in his chair and couldn't move. He was an awful yellow color, breathing very shallow, said he was dizzy and his fingers were tingling. Holy crap, it felt like forever before the firefighters and EMTs arrived.

I tried to get ahold of my husband and sister but nobody was answering their phones. I've mentioned before that I have really great co-workers. But I have to say they are amazing. One guy, ran to my sister's office to get her, another stayed by my said and made calls for me and fetched me things, waited to see if we needed drives, and then showed up at the hospital later just to see if we needed anything. Other people waited for the ambulance, some watched for my sister and husband so they could get in to the building and then yet others waited for my mom. I can't even put in to words or describe what all these people did for me today. I get emotional when I try to talk about it. Just know they are an amazing bunch of people.

So the EMTs arrive, I'm giving them info about my dad, calling my mom, answering other questions for people, waiting for my sister and I hear an EMT say to my dad that they couldn't find his blood pressure. He says "I can take of my shirt if you want, I don't mind." What do I do? I turn to the firefighter beside me and say "LOL...that runs in the family". OMG...I say totally inappropriate things and completely inappropriate times. Holy shit. I still can't believe I said that.

So I'm on the phone with my mom when they decide to take my dad to the hospital. I just asked her where she was and my dad starts making these awful sounds. I look up and my dad is crumpled on the floor passed out cold. I whimper to my mother on the phone "Mom, hurry. Hurry, mom." Nice...did I mention the woman has a heart condition?? Then I watch as 2 fire-fighters and 2 EMT struggle to lift my dad onto a stretcher. I was managing to hold myself together but then I look up and see my sister with big tears in her eyes. I almost lost it at that point.

My mom arrives just as they are taking my dad out. I tell my mother she is going in the ambulance. Not just because I wanted her to be with him. Nope, she has a heart condition! I wanted her in the damn ambulance just incase. I told the EMTs about he heart too.

We went to the hospital and waited. Jenn and I went for coffee and on the way back I see Nicole from afar. Nic, I'm always happy to see you but I could have cried when I saw your smiling face today. It really helped.

Jenn and I left the hospital and my dad was doing well. He was talking and back to a normal color. They monitored him for the afternoon and he's on his way home now. It turns out a combo on meds he was on made his blood pressure bottom out.

These are the highlights but this is too long already. It's going to take me awhile to shake the image of how I found my dad today. He told me he tried to get help for 10 -15 minutes. He tried to call me 3 times before he was able to make the phone work. I can't think anymore about that.

How was your day?

12 comments:

proudmamma said...

SJ, I saw your phone number on my phone when I got home. I'm truley sorry I wasn't there for you this morning. You need my cell #. Oddly, I was going to visit your parent this afternoon. I can only imagine what you've been through...with both parents. Pretty scary stuff. I'm thinkin' of ya & call me later.

The Sarcastic Mommy said...

Hey, good job with your dad - i can't imagine being calm and collected enough to organize things, make a pretty funny (and true) joke, and make others feel better when you must have been so scared. I am sorry to hear about you dad, i'm glad he's doing better and thankful he'll be home tonight.

Anonymous said...

You handled yourself extremely well in an incredibly stressful and emotional circumstance, your Dad is very lucky to have such a great daughter.
I'm really happy to hear that he is on his way home, and on the mend...your papa is one tough cookie.
Lori

Sunny said...

Thank God it was a combo of meds and that they were able to figure it out. I don't know what I'd do if we all lost Alfie!!! I know he's your Dad and I would be so upset for you but I would be upset for me too because I love that guy!!!
I have tears in my eyes right now just thinking about all of it. You're the strongest person I know and we are all lucky to have you around.
You did great today and your Dad, I'm sure, is proud to have you as his ever-dependable daughter.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad but I am so glad that you were there for him. Hopefully, it will all be better now. You and your family are in my thoughts!!!!!

Look on the bright side...at least you didn't tell the firefighter that you do a mean fireman routine on your pole...LOL

Kimmartha said...

After I read this last night, I couldn't comment. I just kept thinking how I would have reacted had that been my Dad. I don't know that I would have been as level headed as you - to call 911 was the exact right thing to do. I probably would have tried to drive him myself... and I don't even want to go there...

I'm glad he is much better, that is was something easily remedied and that he is back home safe & sound. I'm hoping your Mom is doing ok too. They are both in my thoughts.

lesly said...

OMG! I am so glad he is ok - I have tears streaming down my face. The girls were talking last night about your dad so I knew that there was a problem with his medication but I didn't hear the entire story. I think you handled the whole situation amazingly well. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Hollee said...

You know...I was going to blog about the crappy assed day I had yesterday...but now - yesterday seems pretty fine. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Seeing a parent need our help is scarey hard. I'm so glad that Nic was there :) and I totally think your comment was funny...especially given the circumstances :) Humour= compusure :)

Queen Mel said...

Princess I told you yesterday....good god girl don't say everything that comes into your head......but damn that was funny, that would have been one of those times (if I were next to you) you would have had to slap me in the back of my head to unstick my eyeballs from my eyerolls....

I'm glad to here Ma & Pa are ok now...that scared me too

NickyT said...

I was so scared for all you when I saw your dad there knowing his previous history. You my girl are amazing, you did the right thing at the right time. It must make you feel good to know that your Dad seen all along what he knew you would do and react appropriatly as who did he call first.....YOU! Even, with your smart wit with the EMT I must say you get it honestly after dealing with your dad yesterday; so blame it on him teehee.

gypsybug said...

you have amazing strength, only a true P would flirt with her dad's help.

Madiegirl said...

I'm very happy he's doing better. Great job !