Sunday, November 11, 2007

Houdini

I try not to write about my daughter too often because I don't want people to say "Does she have to write about her daughter ALL the time". It seems that I have been writing about her alot lately. But, well, I like her and it's my blog. So there :)

Today she, my mom, and I had a lunch date at McDonald's (ewww). Afterwards we went to Shoppers for a few minutes. I finished up first and left JJ with my mom while I went to Subway to get something for the Mister who was mildy hung-over this morning. When I was done done at Subway I started towards the car but they weren't there yet, which I thought was odd. I look over towards Shoppers and what do I see? My 4 year old daughter standing outside the door with a strange man. Mel pick your chin up off the keyboards and keep reading. I calmly but quickly walked over to them. Just as I was getting there they walked back in the doors. When I got to her I called her all three of her names, which we all do when we mean business. The man looks and me and says "Do you know her? Someone is looking for her." Holy crap. I still remained calm but I was deadly serious and not one bit happy.

At this point I have a death grip on the kid and I look inside the store. I see my mother, who was recently told she cannot work any longer because of her heart trouble, freaking out by the cash registers. She is very loudly saying "My grand-daughter! Where is my grand-daughter? She was just hear a minute ago!" Crap, I could hear the tears and the hysteria that were quickly about to take over her. Then all the poeple around her scatter and start looking for my child. My mother chooses that point, thankfully, to look up and see me. I point at JJ and my mom falls from near hysterics to "Thank god she's okay!" Kill me now.

I turn my attention to my daughter who has completely failed to recognize that anything is wrong. She looks up at me and says "Hey Mom, I found ya!" I'm still calm and not even thinking about bodily harm...yet. I bend down so I'm at eye-level with her and I say "JJ, I don't ever in my life want to see that again. Little girls cannot go outside by themselves. I left you with Nana and I expect you to stay with her. You scared, Nana." It went in one ear and out the other. Cue Nana, who comes over and hugs her and tells her she was so scared and so on.

I should mention that this was all the JJ's fault and there was nothing my mother could have done. The kids wanders and so do I.

I decide to end the freak show and drag the kid and the grandmother to the car. Grandmother is still shaking and is sitting in the front seat with her head in her hand. I tried to reassure her and then turned my attention to JJ. I again tell her what she did wrong...blah, blah, blah. I'm very serious which is a point she fails to notice. She picks the middle of my speech to hold up the crap bee toy she got at McDonald's and buzz it in my face. Wrong move!!! I grabbed the toy and told her to listen to my words very carefully.

I then proceeded to scare the shit out of her. Am I proud? Not so much. Will I get the mother of the year award? I was out of the running anyway.

Here is how is went down in a very short tone - "JJ I'm dead serious now and you had better listen to me or I will run over your bee. If you had walked into the parking lot you could have been run over by a car. Or a stranger could have taken you and you would never have seen Mommy, Daddy, Nana, or Grampy ever again. Now, I want you to sit her and think about how sad we would be if we never saw each other again." Then I closed the door and got in the car. I let her sit there in silence until we hit Fulton Ave. I looked back and she had her head down and was looking pretty sad.

I felt bad but whatever. It's not the first time she has taken off but hopefully it'll be the last. Nana felt so bad that JJ got to spend the rest of the afternoon at their house.

6 comments:

Madiegirl said...

Yikes, kids are horrible for that and I believe that sometimes they need the shit scared out of them for it to make sense.....

Anonymous said...

OMG! I LOVE the running over the bee part. Bet that got her attention in a hurry!

Seriously, sometimes kids need the crap scared out of them or made to feel bad so they get the point, specially when it's something as monumental as wandering off by herself. It's not like it was something stupid like spilling a drink or colouring on the table ... she did something that could have ended in tragedy. If she felt bad after what you said, then maybe she will have learned her lesson.

Kimmartha said...

Ok, the bee thing had me giggling. But I agree completely with you - this is way too serious for a joke. I have been through this with both my children. A only did it once or twice, but T did it more often. He never left a store, but would wander away from me. The last time he did it was at Canadian Tire North side last Christmas. So, when I saw where he was (after a brief panic attack), I walked behind a nearby shelving unit where I could keep an eye on him and waited. Sure enough, about 2 minutes later he realized I wasn't hunting him down and scolding him. The look of fear and panic on his face just about killed me, but I left him for another 30 seconds or so before I came up to him and said "Are you going to wander away from me again?" So far, he hasn't. Tough love, but they have to learn and I would rather it be from me than from some stranger.

Queen Mel said...

Holy Shit! Holy Shit! Holy Shit! Get me my ass kickin' boots! This is a cardinal sin in my books....you handled it extremely well, yes I did have to pick my chin up off the keyboard.

I think kids really only do get the serious things if you scare them - whats with that?

awareness said...

My two are such chickens, they still cling to me.

That would've scared the crap out of me.

When I see you next, I'll tell of the time I went missing as a kid. It obviously ended alright since I am alive and here leaving you a comment..........:)

Hollee said...

Gawd I feel for ya!! Sophia used to do that to me all the time! It totally scares the hell out of me!! One afternoon at Zellers, a strange and scarey (but kind of sweet) old guy asked me if he could speak to my daughter after watching her run off on me. He knelt down in front of her at eye level and told her that there are scarey strangers in this world that would pick up little girls like her who left their Mommy's! He told her that a stranger would walk off with her and do bad things to her and she'd never see her Mommy again! I have to admit - I felt weirded out by it...but let him talk. For the next month - Sophia had a death grip on my wherever we went! Now the rule is "If I can't touch you, you're too far away!" and it's working reasonably well.

I think when they're that little - we protect them so much from everything that they have no concept of just how bad it could be...and by the way...I have literally chucked toys from a moving car before...you can sit by me during the Mommy of the year galla ;) lol