Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Big Day

Today is a big day for the Littlest Princess. Today is her first day of school. She was pretty excited this morning. She woke up at 6:18 am and wanted to leave right away. I had a difficult time getting her to wait until 8:40 to leave the house. when we arrived at the school, she jumped out of the car and ran to the door. We said hello to one of her teachers, Mrs. F., changed her shoes, and headed into the classroom.

JJ was still on a high when she entered the classroom. I shared a secret with her about one of her teachers that she thought was pretty cool. I told her that Mrs. F. likes to scrapbook. JJ was bouncing to tell Mrs. F that she scrapbooks as well. So she told her and we walked into the classroom.

We chose a seat at a table and then thing went downhill. JJ started to look around and realized she didn't know a single other child in the room. She knows kids who will be in her class but they start tomorrow - half the class goes today, the other half tomorrow, and they all go Thursday. I felt so bad for her. JJ is a very sensitive little girl but she keeps her feelings inside. I could see that she was getting nervous and anxious but she wouldn't say a word.

When it was time for the parents to leave, the kids all gathered on a carpet to listen to the teacher. I left the room and hung out in the hallway for a minute. She turned to looked at me a few times but she was fine. I'm looking forward to going to get her at 11 am to hear how she liked it. Regardless of her first impression today, I know she'll be excited for Thursday when she gets to see all the other children she knows. She's been talking about going to school with B, M, and her cousin, J for weeks now. She'll be fine. As long as she is happy then I'm happy.

UPDATE - JJ thought school was great. She said she will go back on Thursday when all of her "best buddies" will be there. However, she did not want to go to daycare after she was done school. As we were leaving the parking lot we had this conversation:
JJ - "So, Mama, what are we going to do now?"
Me - "I'm taking you to daycare and then I'm going to work."
JJ - "I don't want to go to daycare. I've learned enough for one day."

She is my child through and through.

1 comment:

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Well, glad to hear that things went relatively well. I just can't imagine. I am going to have to get over that though, only two more years.

Here's hoping that Thursday will be fabulous.

BTW, how did Mom make out today leaving her Littlest Princess? ; )