Thursday, July 17, 2008

No Buts About It

Lately, it seems there is always one word that totally describes my day from a work standpoint and a personal standpoint. Often I'll just be sitting there and it'll come to me. One day it was "unwillingness" that term just seemed to fit everything about that day. Earlier this week it was "if" what if, I'll do this if, we'll do this if...blah, blah, blah IF! It's only 8:34 am and I already know today is "but". It started with me thinking I'll stay at my desk all day today. It wasn't in the office 5 minutes and.....BUT reared it's ugly head.

We're moving to our new office building soon and there is so much to do. I knew this would be a big project but I wasn't expecting to be this involved. It's been a great opportunity to learn about things I would never touch otherwise. However, it has also made it glaringly obvious to me that this line of work is not for me. I'm a client oriented kind of girl.

As part of this project, I have to manipulate a spread sheet that is going involved over 6300 entries...twice. I got the info yesterday and I put off starting it. It is a critical item and I must do it today. My plan was to sit at my desk all day and hammer it out BUT I had to go to something else within 5 minutes of my arrival. I should have started it when I got back from the other task BUT I needed to take a minute to simmer down for a few minutes first.

Now I'm done this post and geared up to start BUT I'm sure something else with come up. I can hardly wait for the BUT that comes up outside of work. It might go something like this "I wasn't going to park in your reserved parking space BUT..." My response might be "I wasn't going to kick your ass BUT...."

1 comment:

awareness said...

Ah........everyday interuptions. The folks around me are completely self stressed and loudly filling boxes WAY in advance. Driving me crazy and it's very difficult to concentrate on the work I need to focus on.

However, this is YOU......and I hope you realize how thankful and impressed we are (I am) with the amount of work and dedication you've put in on all the planning. They better see this Sarahdipity. In fact, you better receive more than one thank you from more than one person.....AND it would be very nice if they named a wing after you. Unfortunately, they have no vision for that, so you may have to change your last name to exit so you can at least have your name up in lights all around the building. :)

You're doing a GREAT job!