Sunday, November 23, 2008

That creative flow from this morning came to a very abrupt halt around 2:30 pm. The phone rang and JJ's father said "JJ need to go to the hospital." I immediately asked where they were. He told me about the accident and said he needed to get her stuffed animal and then she needed me. I told him I would meet them at his house.

They had gone sliding at a friend's house this afternoon. Apparently, they got about 15 mins of sliding in and she had an accident. She was going the hill by herself and hit a rock (as big as her) head first. He said she hit so hard that she flew backwards into the air. She split her head open and hurt her foot.

I arrived to see her and she enough her head was split open. I could immediately see that it needed stitches. Bad thing to say. She started screaming that it would hurt. Right or wrong, I told her it would hurt but only for a second while they gave her medicine to take the pain away. I don't believe in lying to her. Her foot was injured too and she couldn't stand on it at all. Off the ER we go.

There was a huge waiting period at the hospital but she needed her head look at. We waited about 3 hours in the waiting ear. I just say the LPN (Marion) on duty was fantastic. She was very helpful and compassionate too. She bandaged JJ's head to keep the wound from drying out and it was hilarious. I wish I had a picture but grabbing my camera was the last thing on my mind. Finally, they offered to glue her head for us. By that point she could stand on her foot a bit, wiggle her toes and rotate her ankle. It was mildly swollen but nothing horrible. I told them to glue her head and we would call our doctor about the foot tomorrow.

The nurses started to clean her head wound and tears started to well up in JJ's eyes. She held my hand but you could tell it hurt. She loves to sing so I told her that when I hurt I sing to make the pain go away. So right there in the middle of the ER, we weren't in a room...we were just behind the triage desk, I started to belt out Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. I didn't even try to keep my voice low. I just let it go. JJ sang along with me and by the time we finished the song the glue was done. As I got her coat on to leave, she started to sing the song again and looked up at me and said "It stings." and she kept right on singing. I almost cried.

She is such a brave little kid. I made her laugh hysterically at one point in the waiting room. I looked at her with fake surprise and said "I can't believe you hit a rock head first and that tooth STILL didn't come out!!" She thought that was hilarious.

9 comments:

Queen Mel said...

is she ok now? What a trooper!

Unknown said...

How is the littlest princess now?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sarah! I can only imagine the panic you must have felt. I'm glad she was such a trooper, as much for her as for you!

Robin

Jon Carson said...

They glued her cut? Did she look at you guys like you had 2 heads when they told her thats what they were going to do? Glad to hear she muscled through it though!

LLG said...

oh poor J.J. I hope she is ok!!

The Original Princess said...

She seems to be okay. She is limping because her foots hurts but she's back at school today. You can see the gross gash at her hair line but it's closed up.

She was fine with the glue. She was just relieved they weren't going to give her stitches.

Every time I closed my eyes Sunday night, I had visions of her hitting the rock and flying through the air.

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Poor JJ! Lots of hugs from J and I. xoxo

NickyT said...

Poor Kiddo!!!! Glad that is doing better.

Hollee said...

Poor kiddo! Did she ever lose the tooth??