Thursday, November 06, 2008

Perfectly Perfect

Do you know someone who has the perfect life? Everything about their life is just textbook perfect...everything is just so and the way it is all "supposed to be". Everything is just so perfectly perfect. You know, the person who makes you feel inferior because you didn't iron your underwear today or serve a full course breakfast using the fine china before sending your kids out the door this morning.

For these people, no mountain is too big to climb, no crisis is too much to handle. Just put on a smile, be positive, and charge on. Oh, and don't forget the perfect handicraft for the occasion. After all nothing says "Flood Relief" like a homemade tea cozy.

Funny this is, I find that often these perfect people tend to be the most judgemental. Geez, if I could just have made the perfect Christmas topiary then maybe my marriage wouldn't have fallen apart. DAMMIT! I deserve to be judged. Actually, I think that judging is just part of human nature. I'm guilty by times. If anyone tries to tell me they are too perfect to judge, I would call them a liar. We all do it.

Over the past 10 months since my separation, I've tried to stop talking about issues pertaining to other people. I'm not perfect and yes I have my opinions. But I've tried to stop sharing those opinions. More specifically, I've tried to stop gossiping. I try not to say anything that I wouldn't want to be public knowledge. Gossip is hurtful and often not true. I'm well aware that separation/divorce is a juicy subject. But you likely don't know the whole story. I've been pretty lucky in my situation. The whole thing has been amicable and my soon to be ex as even said that he realizes that I did the right thing and it was courageous.

Unfortunately, it seems like I set off an epidemic. Alot of people around me are having similar issues of their own. Unfortunately, it seems that marital issues are a conversation topic that is too good not to talk about. It might do us all good to remember that Karma can be a real bitch. Be careful or she might just bite you in that perfect ass of yours.

Well, I'm off to scrub the floor with a toothbrush. It is simply the only way to make it sparkle to perfection.

9 comments:

Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunny said...

I'm so glad that my topiary was perfect last Christmas. I guess that means I'm safe for another holiday however another holiday is fast upon us so who knows :)
While attending Christmas mass this year I will pray with my perfect heart for those who are having a hard time this year. After Christmas mass I'll follow everyone else into the reception area of the church and start talking about how sorry I feel for those poor little souls. When I get home I'll knit each of their families a perfect little scarf to warm their souls......if one can't read the sarcasm in that I don't know how else to tell them that hurtful words said by friends can cause more pain than an actual broken marriage. Let's leave judgement to someone much more qualified than ourselves. Let's let God decide who needs to be judged...I am pretty sure he's the only one who can. Amen.

gypsybug said...

Sunny that's deep!

I am the first to say I judge but I realize that by judging others I am judged as well. I wouldn't say I judge them in a negative way but I would compare myself to them. I tend to be the "loser" when I judge others so really it's a negative habit that I don't indulge in often.

DON'T even get me started on Marriage issue. Marriage is work, not perfection. People that say everything is perfect have to be lieing!!!!!!!

awareness said...

I don't even know what a topiary is so I guess I'm fucked.


ok, i do know what a topiary is....

I find that I judge the judgers the most....it's a vicious circle isn't it?

my bloggie friend Pip writes about the fact that we all have imperfections......beautiful imperfections which make us unique and loved.

I think those perfect poopheads need to remember that even Martha Stewart spent time in jail.

The only perfect person in the whole world (well practically perfect) is Mary Poppins, and she's a fake.

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Sunny, I totally agree with what you are saying. There really truly is only one being whom can judge us and that would be the good Lord above.

And no, I'm not perfect. I have been judgmental. But I can honestly say that since a lot of different life events have taken place, I have made a real effort not to judge. And even if I do in my little mind, I keep it to myself. I think my friends can attest to that I can I attest to the fact that they do the same thing...no gossip. That is part of the reason I surround myself with these people. We are there to support and care for each other, not tear apart people.

So Princess, I don't iron anything, I have toast and a glass of juice for breakfast, I have Corel, no fine china and I can't do anything crafty so no tea cozy from me. But if my friends need me, I will be there with all my imperfections to give them a hug and to cry with them. Life has taught me that that is the only way it can be.

Jon Carson said...

So let me get this straight, the only person who we can allow to judge is a Cosmic Jewish Zombie, who was his own father, whom you believe can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul. Which is persistent in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talk snake to eat from a magical tree...yes I see how this all makes perfect sense...

Sunny said...

Okay, I think Jon is the best!!!! LOL!!!

NickyT said...

Does perfect exsist? I don’t think so.

All I can say is that I’m ready to Cheer in 2009 with a Bang. As 2008 has had many imperfections for me in it. I can’t wait to turn the calendar and start a New Year!

Your post put in mind a song by Taylor Swift – Tied Together With a Smile. Most people and I’m not a sociologist by any means, this is just my 5 cents. Most who portray perfection to the masses are usually Tied Together With a Smile but are coming undone inside. BUT, by saying how perfect they are to those that can admit they are not perfect, makes them feel superior to others. Even, if it is just in thought they feel superior and it is only a moment of euphoria, it keeps the smile on their faces. For real, I feel bad for those like that, I gave up on my world of make believe when I figured out Santa didn’t exist. Must suck to be an adult who still lives in that world of make believe.

I had to google topiary….ummmmm I think topiary’s are ugly!!!!!!! Rob, might leave me if I put those up around the house!

Queen Mel said...

Pft...what is perfection? If Martha Stewart is perfect than I've got to be better than perfect, as Awareness said....she's been to prison, I've never been to prison.....yet?