Friday, July 24, 2009

Salt or Ketchup, The Great Debate

I find it bizarre that when you go through the Wendy's drive-thru, you have to ask for ketchup but they automatically put salt in the bag. Do that many people ask for extra salt for those already salty fries? I worked in fast food many,many, many moons ago and from what I remember, there were more request for ketchup than salt.

Perhaps salt costs less than ketchup so they toss it in the bag to make you feel like you're at least getting something for free. But you have to ask for the pricier condiments like ketchup. I can hear the big wigs in the meetings now "Folks, these are tough economic times and we need to cut costs. Toss a packet of salt in the bag and maybe the bastards, I mean customers, won't ask for ketchup!"

I worked in fast food in high school and only giving ketchup upon request actually started way back then. I'm not really complaining about it. I think it's smart to only give out condiments when requested. In fact, when I ask for ketchup and they give me a fist full I tell them I only need one. Waste not want not, right? I just find it funny that they toss a bunch of salt in the bag without asking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, my drive-thru expreiences are always the opposite! I always get asked if I want ketchup or packets automatically get put in my bag .... And I don't LIKE ketchup on my fries! I ALWAYS have to ask for salt.