Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fiction vs. Reality

So, I'm a scrapbooker - not new information. I like to read various blogs - again not an earth-shattering confession. I read a number of blogs on a daily basis. A few blogs are scrapbook related and a number of them are not. Now, I'm not lumping all the scrapbooking blogs together but I really wonder if those ladies live in same reality that I do.

A number of the big names in the scrapbooking world also have big families. I'm talking families with 3, 4, 5 kids. We all love our kids and like to have fun with them but we also have challenging days too. Not in scrapbook celebrity land. I swear their lives are all sunshine and lollipops and their kids sneeze gold. Yes, there is something to be said for positive thinking but, seriously, it all seems perfect ALL of the time.

I read www.dooce.com every day and boy is she a contrast to the Stepford Scrapbookers. Like many of the scrapbook bloggers, Dooce- real name is Heather, has children. She has a 5 year old and a newborn and talks about her life. The glaring difference is that Heather seems to portray the reality of having kids.

Just once, I'd like to see a photo on the scrapbook blogs where the celebrity scrapbook Mama has spit-up on her shirt. As opposed the perfect hair, perfect nails, perfect makeup, holding the perfect card, with her spotless kids standing there being perfect that we normally see. The reality is that we're all reading those perfect blogs with a toothpaste blob on our shirt, while eating a cookie we found at the bottom of our purse!

2 comments:

NickyT said...

Mauh....that is for the awesome post.

Have thought the same a time or two of reading I'm pretty sure the same Blogs.

The kiss is totally for the new and always forever to be used phrase:
Stepford Scrapbookers

"The real" MarthaSue said...

i second this - never could put my finger on it either - what the hell was wrong...... not this is it!