Monday, December 06, 2010

Goodbye, Buddy

Today is a sad day. I have to put my dog to sleep this afternoon. Oliver has been "mine" since the day I brought him home and a cute little black lab puppy. The dog stayed with my ex-husband when we split up because I thought it was the best thing for Oliver and for my daughter. But I still love him and today is a terrible day.
Apparently, he hasn't been eating and took a turn for the worse over the weekend. XH told me about it yesterday and we both agreed that we needed to put him out of his misery. The call was made to the vet this morning and we go at 1:30. I hate to see the end but, to be honest, I wish the appointment was earlier. I guess Oliver couldn't even get up on his own the morning. He has been such an amazing dog and I just don't want him to suffer a minute longer. I saw him yesterday and the suffering was so clear in his eyes. XH will take him to the vet, I will meet them there, XH will leave and I will stay with Oliver. I'll make sure he knows we love him and that he was the best companion we could ask for, I will wrap my arms around him, put my face close to his, and hold him until he is gone.
Today is a sad day but at least Oliver's suffering will end. Thanks for being such a good friend, Buddy.

5 comments:

Queen Mel said...

I am so sorry to hear that, he was such a nice dog.

LLG said...

Sorry to hear about Oliver. He was a good dog! Hope you are doing ok!

cuddles said...

I'm so so so sorry for your loss.

My dogs are all with my XH, but they are still my babies, and having them living "away" since our breakup hasn't softened the pain of losing two of them this year.

I'm not a believer, but for some reason I do cling to the idea of a Rainbow Bridge...

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

Author unknown


*big huggs*

The Original Princess said...

Thanks. When Oliver was getting out of the car at the vet yesterday, I looked up and a I swear to you there was a rainbow in the sky. I pointed it out to XH.
LL - How are YOU doing? Congrats on the new babe!

Hollee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver. Losing a fur-kid sucks. He was a great boy! Sorry you had to say good bye. ((HUGS)) to you - hope you're doing ok.