Monday, July 05, 2010

Monday Rant

So Facebook. I'm not a Facebook lover and I never have been. I check it a few times a day but I use it mainly for reasons other than personal. I rarely send out friend requests on Facebook (FB from here on out) and I'm not very active on FB at all. If you want to get in contact with me, FB is not the place to do it. I likely won't get your message for a few days (if you send it to my inbox) or at all (if you post it on my wall). Get me the old fashion way....email or phone. :) Just because I don't keep in contact with you on FB doesn't mean I don't like you....it just means I don't really like FB. It's too time consuming to keep up with that much crap. Especially those who document every movement they make in their status. Seriously, I don't care what you had for lunch and that you intend to eat supper too. Billions of other people are going to do the very. same. thing. today.

So here is my Monday Rant about FB. Well, not really a rant so much as me saying "I just don't get it." What is up with giving people limited access to profiles anyway? If you send out a "friend" request or accept one from somebody aren't you imply some level of trust? Then why give limited access? If you don't want them to see things or know things about you then reject the request or don't send it at all. I know someone out there is thinking "What a narrow point of view. What about this and this and this?" The way I see it, is that if you feel the need to hide it from someone or anyone.....don't put it on the internet at all. Once it's out there, it's out there for good. Set up all the passwords you like, it's still out there.
So here's my deal - If you need to limit my access to your profile, just delete me as a friend. I probably won't notice anyway.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I agree! It's mean when you limit someone's access after they've had full access. Whether you mean to or not you are sending out a message to that person telling them that you have an issue with them. It's really a form of passive agressive behaviour. If you don't want me to have full access all of a sudden and I'm surprise than you haven't done your job as a friend to tell me you're upset with me over something.
I don't always check FB either so if there is a change in plans, don't communicate that to me via FB because I won't get it. I feel the same way about texting. The last time I checked I had a home phone number and it works. If there's a change, call me and tell me so I'm not sitting there waiting and waiting meanwhile I've gotten a text on my phone that is sitting in my gymbag on silent because I didn't turn it back on and I don't live and breathe my phone.
Oh well....it's okay because I'm eating.chicken.tonight.and.sending.out.love.to.the.best.husband.in.the.world....oh gag me with a spoon!!!
LOL!!

Behind The Mask said...

FB is time consuming and I agree, what's the point of a limited profile. Admittedly, I had a few people on LP but about six months ago thought the same thing "what's the point?" So i deleted them....and a lot of other people too. I always felt guilty about deleting this person or that but once i did, not one of those 100 people sent me another friend request. I'm not sure I'm not done downsizing...... if I don't talk to you on a regular basis, maybe you don't need to see all my stuff ? Maybe you should call me or send me an email first to see how things are going instead of creeping around my profile. I'm all for trying to keep in touch, i'm not great at it and don't mind doing it but keeping in touch means you actually have to communicate with me. I am a big fan of texting though.....quick and easy. I only text the people that are going to answer . If I know you don't text, i won't change plans last minute that way. Good discussion.... :)